Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Looking for a CSS Framework

[eluser]Daniel Moore[/eluser]
I have just checked out YAML (yaml.de/en) but it requires that you place a linkback somewhere on every site on every page that utilizes it, according to it's license. They want 119 Euro before you can legally not include it.

What I'm looking for, is a freely usable, open source solution with no restrictions on the use. Something that will be easy for me to bundle with my CodeIgniter. Something that will not have a lot of difficult to read code or unnecessary code like many solutions seem to have a problem with. A good, clean, robust, powerful, yet simple framework like CodeIgniter, but for CSS.

It must be compatible with all the major browsers, with all the fixes for all the quirks of each browser.

Is there a particular one that anyone recommends?

[eluser]jalalski[/eluser]
There is a nice list here:
http://www.thewebdesignsource.com/5-popu...started-2/

There is not a clear dividing line between various kind of frameworks (e.g. CSS and Javascript frameworks) but some, such as the Yahoo Interface, have a separate CSS module (look at their Grids framework).

The BlueTrip framework looks especially interesting and I'll take a look at that when I have time.

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
I think you better study the source and take what you need from the frameworks to use for your own sites.

The framework styles are all loaded unlike CI where you load the things you need. So when it comes to css you have to keep it as lean as possible.

[eluser]Daniel Moore[/eluser]
Thank you both for your replies.

@jalalski: That will definitely give me a good starting point.

@xwero: As I need a lean, fast, bloat-free way of programming, I'll have to agree with you on that one. Perhaps I can use some of the ideas from some of the frameworks to develop my own template system.

[eluser]Steven_W[/eluser]
I like blueprint

http://blueprintcss.org/

[eluser]Johan André[/eluser]
960 gridsystem is really cool! (www.960.gs).
It's for fixed pages though.... But honestly, my designs almost
always end up in that way.... Smile

It's lightweight, simple to use and gets rid of most browserbugs...

[eluser]jdfwarrior[/eluser]
[quote author="Johan André" date="1237851065"]960 gridsystem is really cool! (www.960.gs).
It's for fixed pages though.... But honestly, my designs almost
always end up in that way.... Smile

It's lightweight, simple to use and gets rid of most browserbugs...[/quote]

Second that.

[eluser]Johan André[/eluser]
[quote author="jdfwarrior" date="1237855410"]
Second that.[/quote]

Since I started using 960 my apps look more professional and are easier to maintain.
The combo of CI & 960 is really great!

Personally I enjoy designing when I have some "limitations"...

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB