Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Is CI able to handle a multi-user blog?

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Hello,
I've looked at the authentication_lite plugin. It seems to do a good job at managing user levels but not individual users. If I wanted to create a site that allowed multiple users to submit blog entries, is CI capable of restricting users to editing/deleting only the entries they've created?

I've been using WordPress (built on PHP) for some time now but have found that I will need to seriously alter it for a future project. I was hoping that I could use something like CI to build from scratch rather than modifying WP. What do you think?

[eluser]ztinger[/eluser]
Of course it can. Start by reading the user guide, then the tutorials. Then when you have specific questions, come back and ask. Wink

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
I have read the documentation... and all the articles linked on the wiki. I thought my question was pretty specific.

[eluser]Rick Jolly[/eluser]
To associate a particular blog with a particular user, you could use a "user_id" foreign key in the "blog" database table that links to a user in the "blog_users" table.

I'm totally unqualified to answer your question because I haven't used WP. I think you'd miss a lot of features if you built your own blog application. I know Derek Allard moved from WP, to a custom CI blog, and finally settled on Expression Engine. You'd probably be interested in his thoughts.

BTW - Expression Engine 1.6 has just been released. Maybe a great time to check it out.

[eluser]esra[/eluser]
[quote author="blepoxp" date="1182468854"]Hello,
I've looked at the authentication_lite plugin. It seems to do a good job at managing user levels but not individual users. If I wanted to create a site that allowed multiple users to submit blog entries, is CI capable of restricting users to editing/deleting only the entries they've created?

I've been using WordPress (built on PHP) for some time now but have found that I will need to seriously alter it for a future project. I was hoping that I could use something like CI to build from scratch rather than modifying WP. What do you think?[/quote]

There is a fine-grained RBAC system documented on sqlrecipes.com with library code as well as a sample admin interface. You should be able to rewrite the code to run under CI. You can probably write the code from scratch for Codeigniter and use their queries and schema. This should give you enough control to handle both content creation and editing, as well as content creation workflow.

[eluser]onisemus[/eluser]
Thanks for the excellent tip! I had no idea such a thing existed. Do you happen to know if anyone has ported this over into CodeIgniter?

[eluser]batteries[/eluser]
[quote author="blepoxp" date="1182468854"]..If I wanted to create a site that allowed multiple users to submit blog entries, is CI capable of restricting users to editing/deleting only the entries they've created?..[/quote]

ci wouldn't prevent you from doing that, or just about anything. But a programmers skill might.. Smile

[eluser]esra[/eluser]
[quote author="onisemus" date="1182548852"]Thanks for the excellent tip! I had no idea such a thing existed. Do you happen to know if anyone has ported this over into CodeIgniter?[/quote]

Maybe around August/September.

[eluser]Developer13[/eluser]
I'm wondering if this person might just need Wordpress MU (http://mu.wordpress.org/).

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB