Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Choice of WYSIWYG-editor

[eluser]Johan André[/eluser]
Hey!

I'm developing for a project which will release later this fall.
Right now I need advice on what editor to use.
It must product valid XHTML and needs no cool features.
Only thing it needs is marking of headlines, "bold", "underline" and possibility to create links.
I like the way a standard textarea work together with the auto_typography()-function (double linebreaks creates new p-element).

I've tried SPAW and TinyMCE and the output is not always good.

I'm really serious about even getting user-input data valid.
I could use bbcode-style input but that will confuse the contributers. I would like it to be:

1. easy to use for complete idiots (WYSIWYG)
2. lightweight
3. valid xhtml output

Any ideas?

[eluser]TheFuzzy0ne[/eluser]
I've seen quite a few, and I've chosen to go with [url="http://www.fckeditor.net/"]FCKEditor[/url]. I can't remember for the life of me what made my go for that one though. At the moment, I haven't experimented with it, but I liked the demo, it seemed really simple, like me...

[eluser]Dam1an[/eluser]
And with FCK in basic mode, it has just the features you want (plus buttlet/numbered lists) without all the extra clutter Smile
I know of a lot of people who choose FCK over TinyMCE for Joomla, so it must be doing something right (and these people are valid XHTML worshipers)

Thanks guys!

I actuallly checked out the WYM-editor just now. It's seems to be somewhat what I'm looking for. I just need to figure out how to customize it so it looks decent. Right now it does not fit my backend at all... Smile

I think I used FCK in some other project. I'll look into that too...

[eluser]isaaccreative[/eluser]
I was involved in a CMS project that used WYW-editor. I ran into some issues with it and don't recommend it. Plus you don't really get a WYSIWYG feel. I personally I use NicEdit. It's lightweight and easy to plug-in.

[eluser]TheFuzzy0ne[/eluser]
Wow, this looks even simpler than FCKEditor. I might end up using that instead. Have you ever had any problems with browser compatibility?

First I must state in my experience ALL JS editors have their flaws. With that stated I have found NicEditor to have the least amount. Supposedly one of my clients mentioned they had issues with the formatting in IE6 and I believe it involved adding a huge image.

What I like most about this editor is that fact that it is unobtrusive and does not require any tweaking with the post variables.

Hmmm... lots of choices now...
NicEdit is really cool!
Especially the inline editing...

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
I'd be all over NicEdit like a rash if it had image upload/manager but it doesn't. Therefore I am stuck with TinyMCE.

Ya I know what you mean. It does have an Image Upload Manager but it's connected with ImageShack. Which I may add works great for blogs. I was planning on tweaking with it to see if I can change the ajax http request with a custom CI plugin.

It shouldn't be too hard I imagine. All you have to do is mimic the ImageShack upload api and then re-route NicEdit to your server.

You might want to check this out.. http://nicedit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3341. Haven't tested it yet but I did take a look at the code and it looks promising.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB