Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Interface questions : Displaying user-friendly results

[eluser]Morty[/eluser]
Hi there !

First let me say that CI is just great to enter the MVC logic. Powerful and simple.

Then, my issue.

I'm currently designing some tools to handle data coming from a database. I was wondering if something already existed or if some reflexions were available concerning the interface. I don't know how to display queries' results in a useful yet good-looking way.

I want easy ordering (ASC or DESC), maybe filters for every column.

If anyone can bring some clues, would be greatly appreciated.

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
You can't go wrong with good cell/row/column shading and color alternating, dark table-headings, and a good amount of padding on the cells.

[eluser]adrian westlake[/eluser]
table layouts? don't do it!

:bug:

[eluser]Phunky[/eluser]
Ext Grids is what your after!

http://extjs.com/deploy/ext/examples/grid/paging.html

[eluser]kgill[/eluser]
[quote author="adrian westlake" date="1184270745"]table layouts? don't do it!
[/quote]
I think you misread something along the way - what needs to be displayed are query results, that's tabular data coming from a database; you don't get a more proper use of HTML tables than this.

- K

[eluser]NemetraL[/eluser]
[quote author="kgill" date="1184276105"]
you don't get a more proper use of HTML tables than this.

- K
[/quote]

Exactly!

HTML tables are "deprecated" for layouts but not tabular data.

Quote:table layouts? don’t do it!

Oh, how funny. It ain't a table layout, it's a table filled with data. Cool your jets.

[eluser]esra[/eluser]
I also use EXT, but another option is the datagrid in the Rapyd library.

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
HTML tables were origionally intended for this EXACT purpose. Its one of those crazy Web 2.0 things that everyone now runs around doing crazy UL with CSS all over the place to spend a long time recreating the look of a table.

I will be the first person to slap you for using a HTML layout, but Tables are not depreciated, they are still as useful as ever when used CORRECTLY. Wink

I really don't think one needs a library to query a database and display the results in a table.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB