Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Output Buffering - ob_flush & flush

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Hello all,

I have a project that I'm working on that requires me to spit out some information after a long blocking task gets finished. While the task is running I need to display a page to the user to let them know that it's processing. I've been able to accomplish this functionality outside of CI by using output buffering and ob_flush / flush commands.

This same setup doesn't seem to function inside of a CI view, presumably because of the magic going on in displaying the view. I've tried doing some Googling but I didn't come across any clear solutions. Could someone give me a push in the right direction as to what I should be looking at to accomplish this?

Thanks.

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
After digging around in CI's internals a bit I managed to figure this out. It's one of those so simple I didn't think of it kind of things. The solution I found was just to skip calling ob_start in your view since CI will call it for you. Then in your view you should be able to flush as needed.

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
Ahh. I read your earlier message, and it reminded me to go hunting for my notes as I'd discovered some ob_flush weirdness when I was experimenting with another library recently - and I think it was the FireBug/FirePHP plugin that was giving me some very odd behaviour. As I say, I can't recall the nature, or what I did to resolve it, but I do recall it involved reading up on the output buffering functions .. and ending up just as confused at the end of it.

Glad you got it resolved, in any case.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB