Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Searching a string for a character and all the characters till the next whitespace?

[eluser]kyleect[/eluser]
I've got a small micro blog app that I'm working on and I'm trying to implement a new feature, tags. The tags use the following syntax "#tag" and are plain text inside the post. When I display these posts, I need to search through the post, find these tags and hyperlink them. I know I need to use Regex but it starts to get a bit fuzzy past that. Can someone point me in the right direction as far as the function I need to look at and some advice on where to start with the regex search string? I'm using PHP5. Thanks!

[eluser]sophistry[/eluser]
happy birthday! here's a present for you...

preg_replace() is the function you need.

regex pattern for the preg_replace() function (assumes whitespace before pound sign #):
Code:
'/#([a-z0-9]+)\s/i'

replacement:
Code:
'<a href="http://example.com/tags/$1">$1</a>'

give that a try.

EDIT: added i switch to the regex pattern to make it case insensitive.

[eluser]kyleect[/eluser]
Thanks for the reply and answer. Ok, I tried this but it didn't work. Here is the exact code I'm using:

Code:
&lt;?php
    echo nl2br(preg_replace('/#([a-z0-9])\s/i', '<a href="$1">$1</a>', $post['body']));
?&gt;

$post['body'] contains the following:

Code:
test test test

#test_post

It didn't generate any errors but didn't create the hyperlink either. Can you see anything I'm doing incorrectly?

yes. the regex doesn't allow for underscore. add an underscore character just before a-z

Code:
echo nl2br(preg_replace('/#([_a-z0-9])\s/i', '<a href="$1">$1</a>', $post['body']));

[eluser]kyleect[/eluser]
Tried that and got same result

[eluser]kyleect[/eluser]
This is what I'm testing with:

Code:
&lt;?php
    $string = "test test test #test_post";

echo preg_replace('/#([_a-z0-9])\s/i', '<a href="$1">$1</a>', $string);
?&gt;

you dropped the plus sign. see the original regex post i made - there is a plus sign after the character class.

also, i changed the \s to a \b to allow the tag to be at the end of the string. \s would require the tag to have a space character. \b makes it so the regex pattern can complete even if there is a linebreak or end of string.

Code:
echo preg_replace('/#([_a-z0-9]+)\b/i', '<a href="$1">$1</a>', $string);

cheers.

[eluser]kyleect[/eluser]
Thanks!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB