Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
running multiple sites from one instalation of CI on Media Temple

[eluser]Yorkshire Pudding[/eluser]
Hi, I hope somebody can help me with this.

Basically, I run a number of domains, on Media Temples Dedicated-Virtual 3.5(Extreme)server, that run on the PHP Codeigniter framework. At the moment I have a separate installation of the framework for each domain so that every time I need to make an update to the framework I need to do it for each domain, which doesn't make any sense. What I'd like to do is run all the sites off one installation of the framework. In addition to this, most of the domains use a lot of the same images (pictures of products) and every time I want to change an image or upload a new image, i have to do it for every domain. Again, this doesn't make a lot of sense to me and was wondering if anyone had a solution to this.

I have searched the internet for a few soloutions and have found this one for the multiple sites running off one instalation: http://www.askaboutphp.com/tutorials/88/...stall.html

This makes sense in relation to my local server but was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of how to administer this on a media temple server in terms of pointed each domains to these shared resources.

Thanks for any help in advance

[eluser]tomcode[/eluser]
Search the forum, recently there have been threads covering Your question.

[eluser]Yorkshire Pudding[/eluser]
I have looked at lots of post and I suppose it is more of a media temple question really. I suppose I just hoped someone else had a similar setup on media temple and could give me a few pointers. Basically where/how i could set up the system and application folder outside of the other virtual domain folders. Would it be a case of me in logging as the root and using putty to upload files (I've only used the command line a few times to make a couple of changes but would happily give it a go).

in other words I need to know how to set this up.

/system/ // <--- this system folders shared by all sites
/application/
/site1/ // <--- the application for www.site1.com
/site2/ //<--- the application for www.site2.com
/www/
/site1.com
/site2.com

If anyone can give me a hint or point me the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

[eluser]tomcode[/eluser]
I don't know the Media Temple setup, but here a general setup :

Either with folders :
/www/
/site1.com/
assets/
index.php
/site2.com/
assets/
index.php

If You want to share the assets You need to create a sym link for one of the assets folders.

Or using different files :
/www/
assets/
site1.php
site2.php

with the in the index.php files :
Code:
$system_folder = "/serverpath/to/Your/system/";
$application_folder = "/serverpath/to/Your/application/";

then in the admin area of Your Media Temple account You point the sub domain entries to Your index.php (sitex.php) files

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB