Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Is it possible to run/view CodeIgniter Locally?

[eluser]BrianDHall[/eluser]
Show off Wink

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
[quote author="jedd" date="1253911367"]
This means that my projects - the collection of files that are visible to the web server - are in my home directory (under ~/public_html). So as soon as I save a file from my editor or IDE, I alt-tab into the browser and hit ctrl-r to refresh the page.[/quote]
I can not imagine anyone who doesn't work like this. I would literally go insane if I had to upload every file I edited.

[eluser]renownedmedia[/eluser]
He's not a showoff tho because he uses Ctrl+R instead of simply F5 :p

[eluser]MCrittenden[/eluser]
FWIW, there are many more options besides (1) developing locally and (2) FTP'ing each time. Examples:

- SSH in using a terminal/putty and use vim or nano or emacs or whatever to edit files directly on the server.
- Mount an external server so that you can treat it like it's local and any saves will be saved directly to the remote server.
- Use an editor/IDE that supports saving directly to remote servers. Examples: NetBeans, Eclipse, Aptana, Komodo, Editra, and dozens of others (those are just the ones I've used on my Ubuntu box).

[eluser]steelaz[/eluser]
When I develop on Ubuntu (currently trying out Win7) I would ssh into my server and do rsync to my local machine, it's lightning fast, syncing application directory with 10-15 updated files takes about 1-2 seconds.

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
[quote author="Thomas Hunter" date="1254159673"]He's not a showoff tho because he uses Ctrl+R instead of simply F5 :p[/quote]

FWIW, for a touch typist, ctrl-r is significantly faster than F5.

For the same reasons, when using vi I use ctrl-[ rather than moving my hand all the way over to the escape key.

[quote author="jedd" date="1254186227"]FWIW, for a touch typist, ctrl-r is significantly faster than F5.[/quote]

Yup, and ctrl + shift + r does a hard refresh (ignores the cache). Can't beat that.

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
[quote author="MCrittenden" date="1254186399"][quote author="jedd" date="1254186227"]FWIW, for a touch typist, ctrl-r is significantly faster than F5.[/quote]

Yup, and ctrl + shift + r does a hard refresh (ignores the cache). Can't beat that.[/quote]
If you're a webdeveloper you should have your cache disabled by default...

[quote author="n0xie" date="1254238521"]If you're a webdeveloper you should have your cache disabled by default...[/quote]

HTMLValidator addon can't do anything if cache is disabled.

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
[quote author="MCrittenden" date="1254254542"][quote author="n0xie" date="1254238521"]If you're a webdeveloper you should have your cache disabled by default...[/quote]

HTMLValidator addon can't do anything if cache is disabled.[/quote]
Use Webdeveloper toolbar if you want HTML validation.

Why would you want to have cache on anyway if you KNOW your page is supposed to change after every refresh? Unless you particularly enjoy forcing a full refresh, I don't see the point in not making by default what you have probably been doing since forever manually.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB