Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Feedback on CMS

[eluser]t0psub[/eluser]
I am looking for some feedback on something i'm not sure about.

I've built a cms in CI where you can create form dynamically in the admin so the client can input data via the admin. Also right now the form builder is only shown to us ( web company ) and not the client.

So for example using the form builder I can create an events form, and add form elements ( input field, upload fields, date fields) so the client can fill out.

So in the form builder i can add form elements: Event Name, Event Date, Event Description, and my database is able to handle the submission of all these elements also.

Is this over complex for the average dev? Seems you need good understanding of relational databases. I did it this way because every client is different so this allows us to build custom forms to match the client needs, without having to touch any code. In the form builder we can say is this required.

Thoughts on this? I've downloaded some CMS from CI i have found but most these people have there own database tables for pages, users, events, etc. Where i have database tables for the forms and submissions.

I look forward to your feedback.

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
Pages & users will require their own tables as they are more than just forms. They are logical entities that are expected to act a certain way and controllers will be looking for them in a certain place.

Most other things though could well use a generic form submission system. Basically if you are just trying to collect data to be exported via an admin panel using CSV, XML, etc then generic form builders / submission systems are great. If you are trying to use it to create data for a frontend system then it gets a little more complicated as a change to the form could easily break the frontend code.

Look forward to seeing a demo of this.

[eluser]t0psub[/eluser]
[quote author="Phil Sturgeon" date="1254948448"]Pages & users will require their own tables as they are more than just forms. They are logical entities that are expected to act a certain way and controllers will be looking for them in a certain place.

Most other things though could well use a generic form submission system. Basically if you are just trying to collect data to be exported via an admin panel using CSV, XML, etc then generic form builders / submission systems are great. If you are trying to use it to create data for a frontend system then it gets a little more complicated as a change to the form could easily break the frontend code.

Look forward to seeing a demo of this.[/quote]

Well i think its also dependent on what you need "pages" to do. Right now i have it setup to have browser title, mete tags, page title and some other elements. You have to remember with this system if you add an upload to the form it auto detects a file is being uploaded and creates a folder and places the file in that folder.

Also this system is able to connect remote to other servers and databases. So you can manage multiply sites from one install.

I will see if i can compile a demo. I don't like how the form builder is used now, It works but it could be more efficient, but i did it the way i did to have proof if you know what i mean. To see if this would work.

If enough people want a demo i will try to put one together.

[eluser]Damien K.[/eluser]
Can you open source your project? Smile I wouldn't mind to have a generic form builder / a variation of scaffolding for like events/RSVPs.

[eluser]t0psub[/eluser]
[quote author="Damien K." date="1254955199"]Can you open source your project? Smile I wouldn't mind to have a generic form builder / a variation of scaffolding for like events/RSVPs.[/quote]

Like i said above, i'm not happy with the interface to use the form builder. I plan on rewriting the interface soon to make it more user friendly.

Right now you have to click one link to add the form, Click another link to add elements to the form.

So its kinda of separate, But when i did it i wanted to make sure my idea would work and it seems it will so now i can make it more useful.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB