Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Log IP address of users / block registration

[eluser]Einspruch[/eluser]
Does anyone have a recommendation regarding logging IP addresses during the registration process and then blocking the IP address if it exists already? I need to enforce a "one account per household" policy that will defer garden variety cheaters. Thanks!

[eluser]taewoo[/eluser]
this is a database issue more than anything

Any recommendations on capturing the IP. I figure it should be pretty straightforward from there.

[eluser]taewoo[/eluser]
user's IP address

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
[quote author="Einspruch" date="1263815856"]Does anyone have a recommendation regarding logging IP addresses during the registration process and then blocking the IP address if it exists already? I need to enforce a "one account per household" policy that will defer garden variety cheaters. Thanks![/quote]
Keep in mind that a lot of people are on dynamic IP addresses. Furthermore, IP's can be spoofed or users can go through a proxy to circumvent this.

For sure. This is just to deter someone from creating 5 accounts in five minutes.

[eluser]taewoo[/eluser]
U can combination of

1) cookies
2) IP

... which is equivalent of saying use a DB session.

As far as people circumventing IP via spoofing.. 99.9% of the world's population doesn't understand so you don't need to worry too much. If they're trying to game your system, then hopefully by then, your site is popular ... which means $$$.. which means u can hire people to do that.

Internet was designed for anonymity. Even Google can't ALWAYS tell who you are unless you have logged in at least once.

Moral of the story: clear your cookies

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB