Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
DMZ - How to resolve object naming conflict?

[eluser]nottRobin[/eluser]
I'm using DataMapper OverZealous Version (DMZ) for my Object Relational Mapping.

The standard way of instantiating a Model object 'participant' in DMZ is:
Code:
var $participant = new Participant();

However, this doesn't work if my controller class has the same name, because it will return an instance of the class itself:
Code:
class Participant extends Controller {
    function index() {
        $p = new Participant();
        $p->get(); // Error - no such method "get"
    }
}

This is frustrating as it's quite important, semantically, for my site that both the Model and the Controller are called "participant".

Does anyone know how I can access the DMZ Model object in another way or something?

Thanks,
Robin.

The Model can actually be named anything, so the solution I've gone with for the time being is to prefix all my model classes with 'Model_'. It's not an ideal solution as it requires a fair bit of extra typing, and extra code, as all my relationships now have to be explicitly defined:

Code:
class Model_participant extends DataMapper {
    var $table = 'participant';
    var $has_one = array('organisation' => array('class' => 'organisation', 'other_field' => 'participant'));
}
/* End of file model_participant.php */

This then allows my controller to work fine:

Code:
    function index() {
        $p = new Model_participant();
        $p->get(); // No error :)
    }
}
/* End of file participant.php */

I'd still love a more elegant solution though, so I don't have to write all the extra code.

[eluser]jayrulez[/eluser]
using php native namespace can remedy the situation.

Thanks jayrulez. I was wondering about that. Can you show me how that would work? Is it this?
PHP Namespaces overview

In which case it's only available in PHP 5.3 onwards. I'm a bit wary of 5.3 as it causes problems with some other PHP sites I'm running. Do you know if there's a way to simulate namespaces in PHP 5.2?

I installed PHP 5.3.2 just so I could take advantages of namespaces. Then I added "namespace Model;" to the top of my Model class.
Code:
namespace Model;
class Model_participant extends \DataMapper {
    var $has_one = array('organisation' => array('class' => 'organisation', 'other_field' => 'participant'));
}
And changed the reference to it:
Code:
    function index() {
        $p = new \Model\Model_participant();
    }
}
However, I get this error:
Code:
Fatal error: Class 'Model\Model_participant' not found in /path/to/application/controllers/participant.php on line 22
After much investigation I discovered that the reason for this is that the class Model_participant doesn't actually get loaded at compile-time. It somehow gets stored by DMZ until it's needed and then loaded. And DMZ thinks it's called Model_participant, not Model\Model_participant.

I don't think there's an easy solution to this so I should probably give up. If anyone does have any suggestions please go ahead and let me know Smile

Robin.

[eluser]oooobs[/eluser]
[quote author="nottRobin" date="1268821410"]I installed PHP 5.3.2 just so I could take advantages of namespaces. Then I added "namespace Model;" to the top of my Model class.
Code:
namespace Model;
class Model_participant extends \DataMapper {
}
And changed the reference to it:
Code:
    function index() {
        $p = new \Model\Model_participant();
    }
}
However, I get this error:
Code:
Fatal error: Class 'Model\Model_participant' not found in /path/to/application/controllers/participant.php on line 22
After much investigation I discovered that the reason for this is that the class Model_participant doesn't actually get loaded at compile-time. It somehow gets stored by DMZ until it's needed and then loaded. And DMZ thinks it's called Model_participant, not Model\Model_participant.

I don't think there's an easy solution to this so I should probably give up. If anyone does have any suggestions please go ahead and let me know Smile

Robin.[/quote]

I have the same problem? Smile I wish I know how to solve this Datamapper namespace issue

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB