Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
differences between Modular Separation and Modular Extensions HMVC?

[eluser]ajsie[/eluser]
i wonder what the differences between these two are:

http://codeigniter.com/wiki/Modular_Separation
http://codeigniter.com/wiki/Modular_Extensions_-_HMVC/

cause i have heard HMVC allows you to have separate applications in application/modules/ and each module could be called from the main controller, and that the communication also goes between modules. so basically every controller/model/view can be called from whatever application.

is it the same with Modular Separation?

what are the pros and cons with both of them?

thanks.

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
Maybe you should start learning about CI in general before getting ahead of yourself. You post a lot of (basic) questions and that is fine, but learn to walk before you run. Besides that, the documentation is pretty clear on the subject. They both enable modular design. HMVC also allows you to cross load modules.

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
If you are new to CodeIgniter steer clear of HMVC. The cross-calling of modules is not how we do things, and this has always struck me as a bad idea.

Modular Separation is the new PHP 5 only, lightweight replacement for the old (PHP 4 supporting) Modular Extensions.

That and MS supports CI 2.0 and ME doesn't.

[eluser]ajsie[/eluser]
[quote author="n0xie" date="1271166404"]Maybe you should start learning about CI in general before getting ahead of yourself. You post a lot of (basic) questions and that is fine, but learn to walk before you run. Besides that, the documentation is pretty clear on the subject. They both enable modular design. HMVC also allows you to cross load modules.[/quote]

ok sorry, im just too eager. but im sure learning each day. and noticed that i should search before i post since a lot of users have posted the same questions.

[eluser]ajsie[/eluser]
[quote author="Phil Sturgeon" date="1271166652"]If you are new to CodeIgniter steer clear of HMVC. The cross-calling of modules is not how we do things, and this has always struck me as a bad idea.

Modular Separation is the new PHP 5 only, lightweight replacement for the old (PHP 4 supporting) Modular Extensions.[/quote]

i c, modular separation is yoursSmile

i will evaluate both of them, seem to be very good extensions.

why would modular calling be bad? maybe one module is dependent of another? like object composition (relationships between objects).

Nonono Modular Separation was developed by wiredesignz as a replacement for ME, I am just maintaining it while he is busy!

I have updated the Wiki article to explain about the differences.

http://codeigniter.com/wiki/Modular_Separation/

Module loading is just a bad idea. You can redirect or share logic in libraries, directly loading a module is just a very quick way to confuse yourself if you are new to CI.

[eluser]ajsie[/eluser]
it's a little bit confusing. so Modular Extensions HMVC (aka ME) is created by webdesignz. And Modular Separation is also developed by him, and is an UPGRADE of ME without the calling between modules.

so even the creator want us to stay away from his initial intention, to allow communication between modules?

ME will not be maintained anymore?

Or will there be 2 different branches, ME and MS?

ME = old busted shit
MS = new hotness

ME has nobody maintaining it.
MS has me looking after it on GitHub.

ME has crazy features but is slow.
MS has no stupid cross-loading, awesome new features and is quick as f**k.

I won't be posting on this anymore. Use MS.

[eluser]ajsie[/eluser]
the fact that nobody maintains ME says it all. MicroSoft all the way!!

and if there is a bug i know you are there and fixing it 4 hours later=)

thanks for your work and webdesignz!

EDIT: just curios...what is webdesignz saying about cross communication between modules?

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB