Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
What DB and Why?
Lightbulb 

Hello everyone!

PHP/MySQL love is kinda over, most of the developers are moving away from MySQL to MariaDB after the whole Oracle drama and some have moved to NoSQL .

Looking back at your personal experience. If you are to suggest 3 database options for CI what would that be?

(11-20-2014, 03:29 AM)haneez Wrote: Hello everyone!

PHP/MySQL love is kinda over, most of the developers are moving away from MySQL to MariaDB after the whole Oracle drama and some have moved to NoSQL .

Looking back at your personal experience. If you are to suggest 3 database options for CI what would that be?

From what I understand MariaDB "is" MySQL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MariaDB) so I believe you can still use the same mysql drivers and just point them at your MariaDB box. That said my "top 3" would be
1. MySQL or MariaDB which ever you prefer (because I know it so well)
2. MongoDB (NoSQL has some pretty cool benefits)
3. postgresql (development seems to be moving faster than MySQL theses days - New NoSQL stuff look awesome!)

I setup a "CRUD" php interface file which I then implement as a "base" model nosql_crud & sql_crud (using built in SQL CI db support of course). Then I just extend it with my models model_people extends nosql_crud or model_buildings extends sql_crud.
That way switching between the 2 backends is fairly easy since they both implement the same crud methods. It's only the model specific query's that get a little tricky.

i think with mysql your alway on the right way for webdev. most isp have it in your programm with phpmyadmin. so mongodb is a question of your philosophy .. for me in a normal project i prefer mysql and with nodejs i prefer mongodb.

MariaSql is just MySql (with a new name) back in the hands of the original developers to keep it safe from Oracle. On CentOS 7, by default, you can only install MariaSql as the repo for MySql is no longer standard. Same probably goes for Redhat.

MySql is definitely my go-to. It's every where, well supported and has a passionate community and dev team behind it.

PostgresSql is also robust.

Then flat files Smile

Mongo has got very popular but I haven't played about with any noSql yet, and am not sure I really get the point. My romance with MySql will probably ensure that I arrive late to the Mongo party Smile

MariaDB is not MySQL there are slight differences and going forward these differences will increase!  MariaDB has a much more aggressive schedule.  

Here is a list of incompatibilities so far:
Code:
https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb/mariadb-vs-mysql-compatibility/

It really depends on what you are doing.  For example, I NEED memcached as part of mysql for my purposes.  It's not available with mariadb.  It is with mysql.  So as a centos user, they did me a disservice.  Doesn't matter tho, I am still able to install mysql on there via the oracle repos.

As for NoSQL it's not some kind of miracle.  It has its uses.  

Unfortunately for MySQL it needs to be optimised.  A lot of developers throw it up, use PHPMyAdmin (lol) and then when the site gets busy, mysql lags and they think its it.  No, it's their inability to actually learn and use it.    Cool

I prefer MySQL and SQLite.
I'm using XAMPP for Windows. it can work without any installation, so I can put it into a USB storage device and run it on any Windows PC.(Apache/PHP/MySQL/SQLite)
Some people prefer SQLite because they don't want pay for an extra database when building a new site. These guys will use Microsoft Access when they have asp.net site. SQLite seems to be much better than Access, and can meet their needs.
CodeIgniter Chinese http://codeigniter.org.cn

i love mysql ._. or mongodb =D

Is this not a right tool for the job discussion?

If MySQL is the right tool, then use it. If you need a full Oracle cluster, then use that. (both Oracle products). Other vendors have database systems too. Smile SQL Server comes to mind.

Your needs will vary from application to application.

Use the one which fits the needs of this application. Don't forget to consider the location of your data, replication and the legal (data protection) implications of your choice when hosting.

I LOVE MySQL.MariaDB.SQLite

i primarily use mysql with mysqli driver but have used sqlite in the past. NoSQL looks promising
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage, M5 Inc.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB