Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Trying to call uasort from within a model method

[eluser]blcArmadillo[/eluser]
I'm trying to call a custom sort function from within a method in one of my models so I have something like:

Code:
<?php
class Part_model extends Model {

function __construct()
    {
        parent::Model();
    }

function my_sort($a, $b)
    {
        // sort code
    }

function some_method()
    {
        $anarray = array(...);
        uasort($parts, 'my_sort');
    }

Problem is I get the following error:
Quote:uasort() expects parameter 2 to be a valid callback, function 'my_sort' not found or invalid function name.

I'd imagine this is because just like if you were calling the function normally from the method you'd use something like $this->my_sort('aval', 'bval'). I tried passing '$this->my_sort' into the second argument but that didn't work either. Any ideas?

[eluser]Rob Gordijn[/eluser]
look at example #3 here.
you can see you must pass an array for a cmp function that sits in a class.

but my thoughts: move your compare function to a helper and load it.

cheers!

Is example three really the same situation? I'm trying to call sort from within one of my methods. In example three they're not calling sort from a method so they just follow the standard usage since the methods are in the local scope... right?

[eluser]Rob Gordijn[/eluser]
well, I don't think the scope is the same... uasort expects a valid callback. Normal usage is a 'normal' function, not a method within the class.

maybe is array($this,'my_sort'); valid, but I doubt it since $this should be a string.
maybe you can use __CLASS__ for the current classname (but does calling uasort then create a new object of the class?)

[edit] weird language mixups

[eluser]danmontgomery[/eluser]
http://php.net/manual/en/function.uasort.php

Code:
//Note use of array to reference member method of this object in callback
uasort($this->dataSet,array($this,"cmpName"));

[eluser]mddd[/eluser]
To add to Rob Gordijn and noctrum: you can specify either a class instance (object) or a class name (string). Both are okay.

Hey everyone,
Thanks for all the help. I used the snippet that noctrum posted and everything is working!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB