Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Is CI right for me?

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
I'm trying to build a gaming server control panel/billing system, and was wondering if CI would be right for me? or would this type of project be more suitable without the use of a framework?

I've been reading the documentation for CI past few days, and find it very intriguing. With all the great classes & plug-ins I'd probably save a tremendous amount of time coding. Would appreciate your input.

Thanks

[eluser]WanWizard[/eluser]
CI is suitable for virtually every application, it is a development framework taking care of a lot of 'housekeeping', so you can focus on the application logic.

[eluser]prestondocks[/eluser]
If you have not already, make sure you check out the DMZ and Modular Extensions libraries.

DMZ will look after your data relationships and do all the validation for you, it is very powerful.

Modular extensions will allow you to break down your application to into more manageable chunks. It also allows easier debugging when something goes wrong as all the files kept in logical folders.

Good luck with your new project.
Simon

[eluser]cahva[/eluser]
Just a heads up message from me. CI will be JUST the right for you Smile Building backends is usually a pain in the ass, but using CI will definately take off some of the burden and you can concentrate on doing(and have fun while learning) instead of figuring out how to do it Wink

prestondocks already mentioned Modular Extensions/Modular separation and you should use it on bigger projects(or even smaller) as you can easily divide your app into smaller pieces and have better organization for your controllers,views etc.

Couple of additions that I seem to be using for every project nowdays:
Using Base controller(s) - From the page: "Base Controllers are a nice simple way to give you global data, logic and shared code which can be specific to a certain part of your site."
Base model - Basic CRUD+more for your models
Ion auth - Simple to use authentication system

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Thanks guys, can't wait to check out those Extensions.

[eluser]timotheus[/eluser]
[quote author="cahva" date="1285267148"]...

Couple of additions that I seem to be using for every project nowdays:
Using Base controller(s) - From the page: "Base Controllers are a nice simple way to give you global data, logic and shared code which can be specific to a certain part of your site."
Base model - Basic CRUD+more for your models
Ion auth - Simple to use authentication system[/quote]

Holy moly sir, this is the first I've heard of Ion auth. Looks incredibly helpful. One question, since you use it a lot.. Does it support a user to be in multiple groups?

[eluser]cahva[/eluser]
[quote author="timotheus" date="1285296777"]Holy moly sir, this is the first I've heard of Ion auth. Looks incredibly helpful. One question, since you use it a lot.. Does it support a user to be in multiple groups?[/quote]

Sorry no, it doesnt. And I think more finegrained control would be better achieved with some kind of acl with roles etc.(which ION auth doesnt offer as its made to be simple as possible).

That said, if you really want multiple group possibility, it should be somewhat trivial to add to this lib. Database would need to have users_groups relation and you would need to modify some code to fetch the groups during login to session(instead of plain "group" you would have "groups" array).

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB