Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Database.php settings for MSSQL database

[eluser]cblosser[/eluser]
Hello,

I'm a newbie to codeigniter and so far really love it. I used cakephp for a little while but was not thrilled with the documentation or lack of. I would like to use codeigniter for a project at work, but I would be required to use a MSSQL database. I searched through the forum and found lots about using ODBC, ADODB, ect, but nothing in detail as to how to format the database.php file.

Here is what I have:

A Microsoft SQL server running on Localhost
username of "test"
password of "password"
database is "testdb"

Below is one of the (unsuccessful) ways i've tried to configure this.

$db['default']['hostname'] = "localhost:1433";
$db['default']['username'] = "test";
$db['default']['password'] = "password";
$db['default']['database'] = "testdb";
$db['default']['dbdriver'] = "mssql";
$db['default']['dbprefix'] = "";
$db['default']['active_r'] = TRUE;
$db['default']['pconnect'] = TRUE;
$db['default']['db_debug'] = TRUE;
$db['default']['cache_on'] = FALSE;
$db['default']['cachedir'] = "";

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong, or give me an example of a better way?

Thanks so much,

Chris

[eluser]JamesD[/eluser]
[quote author="cblosser" date="1197780969"]Hello,

I'm a newbie to codeigniter and so far really love it. I used cakephp for a little while but was not thrilled with the documentation or lack of. I would like to use codeigniter for a project at work, but I would be required to use a MSSQL database. I searched through the forum and found lots about using ODBC, ADODB, ect, but nothing in detail as to how to format the database.php file.

Here is what I have:

A Microsoft SQL server running on Localhost
username of "test"
password of "password"
database is "testdb"

Below is one of the (unsuccessful) ways i've tried to configure this.

$db['default']['hostname'] = "localhost:1433";
$db['default']['username'] = "test";
$db['default']['password'] = "password";
$db['default']['database'] = "testdb";
$db['default']['dbdriver'] = "mssql";
$db['default']['dbprefix'] = "";
$db['default']['active_r'] = TRUE;
$db['default']['pconnect'] = TRUE;
$db['default']['db_debug'] = TRUE;
$db['default']['cache_on'] = FALSE;
$db['default']['cachedir'] = "";

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong, or give me an example of a better way?

Thanks so much,

Chris[/quote]

Have you checked the User Guide info on database configuration?
http://ellislab.com/codeigniter/user-gui...ation.html

Yes,

I've looked at all of that. It only gives an example of a mysql connection. I'm just not sure if i'm putting the right setting in the hostname for a mssql driver or odbc? Do I just put in local host, or do I need a full DSN there?

[eluser]JamesD[/eluser]
[quote author="cblosser" date="1197782028"]Yes,

I've looked at all of that. It only gives an example of a mysql connection. I'm just not sure if i'm putting the right setting in the hostname for a mssql driver or odbc? Do I just put in local host, or do I need a full DSN there?[/quote]

If CI is located on the same server as the MSSQL database is, then I would think localhost would be the correct hostname.

Wouldn't the port number come into play if using DNS instead of localhost?

Disclaimer Note: Personally, I haven't messed with MSSQL too much.... so, I'm not 100% :cheese:

Here's another snippet from the guide (if it helps):
[quote author="CodeIgniter User Guide"]For information on each of these values please see the configuration page.

Or you can submit your database values as a Data Source Name. DSNs must have this prototype:
$dsn = 'dbdriver://username:password@hostname/database';

$this->load->database('$dsn');

Note that if you use a DSN you will not be able to specify some of the default values like you can if you use a connection array.[/quote]

Any avid MSSQL users out there that could shine some light?

Ok, I've figured it out. Apparently PHP has issues with the express version of sql server. I tried the normal settings on our production sql 2000 server and it worked like a charm.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB