Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Any Help Appreciated (Rerouting/Remapping) :)

[eluser]Clowerweb[/eluser]
Hello all,

Basically, here's what I'm looking to do:

I'm working with URLs to determine a page (obviously), and have the URLs set up in the following way:
Code:
domain.com/page

This currently checks the database to see if segment 1 exists in the database as a page slug, and loads the page if so. So far, so good. Note: I'm handling this in the index() method on the main controller and using the following route in routes.php:

Code:
$route['(:any)'] = "index";

Here's the problem though. I also have controllers that need to be handled, such as /admin. Obviously, it's checking the db for a page with a slug "admin", and not finding it (which it shouldn't). What I need it to do is this:

Check db, if slug exists, load page from db;
If slug does not exist in db, check if there's a controller for it and load that instead (using CI's default handling of controller/function in URI);
Else load 404.

I suspect that there's a way to do this using _remap(), but I don't really understand how it works or what I need to do to get it going.

Thanks for any and all help and suggestions!

[eluser]Aken[/eluser]
http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/220528/#1016136

[eluser]Clowerweb[/eluser]
Nevermind, got it (found it on Stackoverflow), but please let me know if I'm doing this the correct way, or if there's a better way. In routes.php:

Code:
$route['default_controller'] = "index";
$route['admin'] = 'admin/index/';
$route['admin/(:any)'] = 'admin/$1';
$route['(:any)'] = "index";
$route['404_override'] = '';

I am not using _remap(), but I feel like maybe I should be? Regardless, it seems to be working how I need it to for now, at least int he most basic sense, but I'm not sure how easily it will scale.

[eluser]Lewis Cowles[/eluser]
Hi there,

It sounds like you have a square peg and a round hole. If for example you changed from using your index page to another method, it can take the parameters as url variables; Using these parameters to query the database seems like a simple solution to me, if your goal was to build those pages from the database.

You do need to be careful to build a solid abstraction layer however, because otherwise unscrupulous individuals may find exploits to query alternative data from your systems database. Also an open-ended system like this can have lots of holes and flaws so really, I wouldn't advise it.

Code:
function dbpage($field,$constraint1,$constraint2)
{
    $chk = $this->db->get_where('dbpages',array('somecolumn'=>$constraint1,'anothercolumn'=>$constraint2));
    if($chk->num_rows == 1) // valid, now build page
    {
        //do stuff here
    }
}

Btw these methods can be used for /admin or /anything really as the methods live inside the main controller, be careful though, there is not much more reason to having one of these than having another controller

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB