Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI Book

[eluser]ckdarby[/eluser]
Hello,

I am reaching out to the community for suggestions & helping me lay out the foundation for a CI 3.0 book.

The hope is that I will be able to offer something to the community that shows how to best uitilize some of the new features that come in CI 3.0 for single developer to a small team of developers that use CI.

If you're interested in helping create what I hope will lead many other developers to a successful path with CodeIgniter please reply with any suggestions, subjects, etc that you would like to see covered.

If you feel that you can get involved in another way you can reach me [email protected]

PS I wanted to mention I am normally not in the forums but I can be found in the trenches of the CI github

[eluser]skunkbad[/eluser]
I don't have time to help, but the first suggestion that comes to mind would be to thoroughly go over the new sessions capability. I guess 3.0 has the ability to use both standard CI sessions and PHP's native $_SESSION, which I think is awesome.

Unfortunately, I don't see myself using 3.0 for my customers because of the new license. Although I personally don't have a problem revealing what framework I used to build a site, the type of customer I want to work for has told me, and will tell me to use 2.X or something else. Maybe you could have a chapter dedicated to the new license. It's guaranteed to cause confusion for many months and years to come.

[eluser]Aken[/eluser]
[quote author="skunkbad" date="1349298007"]I don't have time to help, but the first suggestion that comes to mind would be to thoroughly go over the new sessions capability. I guess 3.0 has the ability to use both standard CI sessions and PHP's native $_SESSION, which I think is awesome.

Unfortunately, I don't see myself using 3.0 for my customers because of the new license. Although I personally don't have a problem revealing what framework I used to build a site, the type of customer I want to work for has told me, and will tell me to use 2.X or something else. Maybe you could have a chapter dedicated to the new license. It's guaranteed to cause confusion for many months and years to come.[/quote]
Unless I'm missing something, there's nothing that requires disclosing the use of CodeIgniter on a website. Only if the code is distributed (ala Github or similar), and in those cases, it would be in the source code.

[eluser]ckdarby[/eluser]
@Aken Anything you'd suggest or would like to see I know I see you on the github pages a lot.

@skunkbad Last time I looked at the license I didn't notice anything this harsh but it has been a while but I think @Aken is correct

[eluser]skunkbad[/eluser]
[quote author="ckdarby" date="1349366821"]@skunkbad Last time I looked at the license I didn't notice anything this harsh but it has been a while but I think @Aken is correct[/quote]

You should carefully read over this:
http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/202562/

I participated in that thread, along with administrator Derek Jones and many other forum members, and it seemed clear that you DO have to make the source code available to your website visitors, and that the method you choose to do so is up to you. You can't make the source code available without revealing the technology used to build the website, which would make a hacker smile from ear to ear. No matter how great a developer you are, we all make mistakes, and I already have one customer that has said we won't upgrade to 3.0. It's just too risky. Just as suggested in the thread, you are advised to seek proper legal counsel in regards to your fulfillment of obligation when using the new CIv3. It was stated that there was an option to pay EllisLab for a special license.

You're likely to hear a lot about this when CI3.0 is officially launched.

Actually, if you wanted to add something really cool to your book, you might consider hiring a couple of attorneys and having them give you advice or recommendations on how best to comply with the terms of the license.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB