Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Is CodeIgniter development dead?

[eluser]Pert[/eluser]
[quote author="Vheissu" date="1368583278"]I actually emailed Ellislab and asked some straightforward questions and got answers to all of them within 24 hours which I posted on my blog here in this post: http://ilikekillnerds.com/2013/05/the-si...explained/
[/quote]

Love it, cheers for making my day.

I guess my only worry with CI really is that any future employer might be more into fancy "new technologies" than really good solid framework.

Then again I've only noticed CodeIgniter being mentioned in job ads over here in good old England last year or two.

[eluser]cpassas[/eluser]
[quote author="Vheissu" date="1368583278"]I actually emailed Ellislab and asked some straightforward questions and got answers to all of them within 24 hours which I posted on my blog here in this post: http://ilikekillnerds.com/2013/05/the-si...explained/

Basically, no, Codeigniter is far from dead and it is still a top priority for them as is ExpressionEngine which they are currently in the process of moving over to use the latest version of Codeigniter. They point out that just because there isn't new versions every few weeks doesn't mean it's dead and it's a good point.

Not completely insightful, but does address a few unknowns.[/quote]

In your blog post you mention no one's emailed Ellis Lab but that isn't true. I've emailed them 3 times back and forth since December about CI 3.0. The single biggest thing Ellis Lab has done to hurt the framework is not publicly discuss their intentions for it for such long stretches of time. If you want to know whats going on with the framework who do you ask? I couldn't find anyone to ask, I just had to email Ellis Lab General support.

[eluser]Alucemet[/eluser]
At this point, it's hilarious to hear talk by them about "new versions every few weeks". It has been SO long since there was a new version! Even if 3.0 is stable enough to use on my own websites, can I really take responsibility for coding up a customer's website in a under-cooked framework? Besides that, the community is suffering tremendously. It's no longer the cool framework that people are using, and you can tell by the quality of forum posts that the user base is dwindling except for newbs. In order to revitalize CodeIgniter, Ellislab would have to put some real time into it, and they'd probably have to break some backwards compatibility. They're not going to do either of those things, and so we'll just have to wait and see where things are in the next year. I anticipate them releasing 3.0 at some point but the PHP community totally rejecting it, and everyone who is serious about development moving on to Symphony, Laravel, Yii, etc, etc. It really sucks, because I use CodeIgniter every day, but feel like I'm going to be forced to abandon it, lest I lose my credibility as a developer. If you primary use CodeIgniter, who will hire you if they know what's up? Feeling defeated Sad

[eluser]CroNiX[/eluser]
Amen

[eluser]Pert[/eluser]
[quote author="Alucemet" date="1369166358"]... but the PHP community totally rejecting it, and everyone who is serious about development moving on to Symphony, Laravel, Yii, etc, etc.[/quote]

Everyone is talking about how CodeIgniter is not facilitating for their needs, but I'm yet to see anything that I can't do right now that client needs me to do. No-one is actually giving real life examples.

Sure, PHP 5.2.4 (proposed requirement for CI v3.0.0) is old. But that will not stop you as developer using coding tricks for 5.4 if your hosting company allows it. Said that, one of the hosting companies I use is still on PHP 5.2.17!

[quote author="Alucemet" date="1369166358"]lest I lose my credibility as a developer. If you primary use CodeIgniter, who will hire you if they know what's up? Feeling defeated Sad[/quote]

Real clients don't care how you deliver your work. They care about cheap hosting costs and working product / website.

If anything, they will ask for WordPress or Drupal, not for PHP framework like Laravel.

The only people that will be snobbish about tools you use are misinformed directors that insist of using "keywords" and "bulletpoints", if someone tells them something is popular, on technical grounds they won't know better.

I've been wondering about the same thing. Mainly because I find it really quick and easy to use, and I've been building a sort of a add-on package for it that is mainly for my own use, but at some point I would like to release to the public.

So, it is annoying that there is no excitement around CI anymore. But it's only been last 6 months maybe.

The question should be - what makes you work quicker. Is it better when you are Jack of all trades, master of none? Or if you are master at CodeIgniter, deliver your work quickly and can quickly solve any problems your clients might have without going - uuuuuh, I don't know?

So yeah, personally I think the only and one thing wrong with CI right now is lack of excitement and hype from Ellis Labs. If they would hype it more, it would "magically" be accepted as "cool" framework again.

Also, think about WordPress - 10 years old, but still popular. No-one is complaining the minimum PHP requirement for it is 4.3! They've only upgraded it to 5.2.4 this month.

[eluser]Pert[/eluser]
Also, check out this Google trends chart

http://www.google.com/trends/explore?q=c...ork&cmpt=q

[eluser]Killswitch[/eluser]
[quote author="Alucemet" date="1369166358"]At this point, it's hilarious to hear talk by them about "new versions every few weeks". It has been SO long since there was a new version! Even if 3.0 is stable enough to use on my own websites, can I really take responsibility for coding up a customer's website in a under-cooked framework? Besides that, the community is suffering tremendously. It's no longer the cool framework that people are using, and you can tell by the quality of forum posts that the user base is dwindling except for newbs. In order to revitalize CodeIgniter, Ellislab would have to put some real time into it, and they'd probably have to break some backwards compatibility. They're not going to do either of those things, and so we'll just have to wait and see where things are in the next year. I anticipate them releasing 3.0 at some point but the PHP community totally rejecting it, and everyone who is serious about development moving on to Symphony, Laravel, Yii, etc, etc. It really sucks, because I use CodeIgniter every day, but feel like I'm going to be forced to abandon it, lest I lose my credibility as a developer. If you primary use CodeIgniter, who will hire you if they know what's up? Feeling defeated Sad[/quote]

Can't speak for anyone else, but I use CodeIgniter because of it being so stable and not being updated with useless stuff that I don't need.... Backwards compatibility is also a huge thing for me... 90% of my customers who use my software written in CodeIgniter are still on PHP5.2+

So if you want to keep your "developer cred" and use the latest and greatest bleeding edge stuff to make yourself look like you know what you're doing, go ahead... CodeIgniter is not for you. I'm sure you'll want Laravel... But make sure once you write your code, you don't have to go back in a year and put in add-ons or update the framework, because chances are the whole framework has changed so drastically none of your code works anymore.

Me? I'll continue to use CodeIgniter.

[eluser]Alam71[/eluser]
People who build website by using PHP they use CodeIgniter(Cl).That means it's an open source Website Application Development Framework. CodeIgniter lets you creatively focus on your project by minimizing the amount of code needed for a given task.It means that it takes less time to develop a professional project with CodeIgniter framework.It has so many advantages:

**CI is lightweight and extensive
**CI is easy to learn, adopt and deploy.
**Easy handling and customizing.
**CI Offers flexibility and easy management With MVC based framework.
**Active Record Implementation is simply superb and easy to remember.
**Provides easier configuration and customization of configuration files.
**CI facilitates easy working with a variety of developers.
**And what not.........

But Cl has lot's of disadvantages, that's are folllows:
**CI’s PHP based only and not very object-oriented in some parts
**CI has PHP4 legacy code.
**CI is company-driven instead of community-driven.
**Its irregular releases.
**Framework itself has no built-in ORM(Object-Role-Modeling)

So.decision is yours,how will become benefited to use CodeIgniter for a website development.....?

[eluser]MatthewSchenker[/eluser]
Greetings Everyone,
I have seen many similar "Is CodeIgniter dead?" discussions in recent months.

For myself, I have been using the excellent ProcessWire CMS for most of my projects. I still do have a need for a good framework for many projects. I have tried Laravel, Cake, and Yii. But for whatever reason, nothing feels as natural to use as CodeIgniter. I WANT to keep using CodeIgniter.

I believe it would make a huge difference if EllisLab just communicated what's going on. If you look at usage statistics, CodeIgniter is still the most popular framework. There is just anxiety among many users about how it's going to be supported going forward. We know that it is the basis for ExpressionEngine, so Ellis Lab has a lot invested in it. But what are the details?

I guess what I'm saying is that, like many other designer/developers, I prefer CodeIgniter for many reasons, CodeIgniter is strong, and I want to see EllisLab pull out a good move to get themselves back in the game.

Thanks,
Matthew

[eluser]Pert[/eluser]
[quote author="MatthewSchenker" date="1369827149"]I guess what I'm saying is that, like many other designer/developers, I prefer CodeIgniter for many reasons, CodeIgniter is strong, and I want to see EllisLab pull out a good move to get themselves back in the game.[/quote]

Can't agree with you more, if there were more updates/news/casestudies on CodeIgniter website, no-one would say, that it is dead.

Even if they only bring back active casestudies section with few words from developers why did they choose CI etc, it would be a good start.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB