Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI, The Next Generation

(This post was last modified: 04-06-2015, 09:44 PM by ciadmin.)

Now that CodeIgniter 3 has been released, we can start looking at the future, by popular request.
This forum is meant for discussing and debating what should or should not be in CodeIgniter 4.

There are a few givens, namely features that are extremely likely to be in CI4: exploiting new PHP features, such as namespaces; exploiting composer for dependency management; making it easier to adapt or integrate external packages; and sticking to the lean and easy-to-use philosophy that has been CI all along.

There are a few features that are extremely unlikely to make their way into CI4: any specific authentication package, ORM package,  or templating engine package. There are a number of other "frameworks" that do that well already, and that is not the "CI way".

Let the fun begin!

PLEASE keep your posts on topic. If you have a new item to suggest, create a new thread, with a poll, thanks.
James Parry
Project Lead

About autoloading... we should skip PSR-0 and only use PSR-4 style.

I am understand the reason behind you don't want to develop a n+1 solution to auth, ORM and templating... but it would be nice if there will be a set of package which are recommended and accepted by the "core" devs and the community. Maybe we will need a website/page where only the CI related packages will be shown and can be rated because packagist is... eh... hard to find anything and get a clear picture about what is the best or appropriate solution. (Check http://knpbundles.com/ for Symfony2 or http://packalyst.com/ for Laravel)

CI should encourage application tests. To make the life of the devs easier CI should provide mocks for the system files and an easy way to create application tests with PHPUnit and these should be bundled into the downloadable versions.

My biggest dream about CI is to get module support out of box, maybe HMVC support too. We waited for it in the last 5 years. Smile

(This post was last modified: 04-06-2015, 11:25 PM by ciadmin.)

(04-06-2015, 05:34 PM)orionstar Wrote: ...

I like the way you are thinking Smile
I'm going to split these into separate threads to collect input!

(This post was last modified: 04-06-2015, 11:24 PM by ciadmin.)

(04-06-2015, 05:51 PM)ciadmin Wrote:

i can not see my reply

(This post was last modified: 04-06-2015, 11:25 PM by ciadmin.)

(04-06-2015, 09:54 PM)crisslin Wrote:
(04-06-2015, 05:51 PM)ciadmin Wrote:

i can not see my reply
Your reply was about "composer", which was split into a separate thread in this subforum, to keep each thread on topic.
James Parry
Project Lead

I have locked this thread because of the off topic responses Sad

If you have a new suggestion, create a new thread in this subforum.
If it is, or is related to, an existing one, post a reply to that.
If you think your request might get some traction, then create a yes/no/maybe poll for it.

The polls are for community input to the council. They are not any guarantee that a proposed feature will be in a current or future release of CI.

A poll that has 100% "yes" replies, but only 5 votes, will not have as much traction as one with only 50% "yes" but 1000 votes in total.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB