Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Poll: Which PHP version features should CI 4 target?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
23.26%
20 23.26%
12.79%
11 12.79%
50.00%
43 50.00%
5.3 (unsuported already)
1.16%
1 1.16%
This should depend on dev process
12.79%
11 12.79%
Total 86 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Which PHP 5.X version should be considered as Required

(This post was last modified: 04-09-2015, 04:12 AM by sv3tli0.)

(04-09-2015, 03:50 AM)RWCH Wrote: 5.5? 5.6? Are you out of your mind?  Huh

Out of mind will be planning and development of a Framework based on already PHP version which is at EOL..
In 1 year even 5.5 will reach that point...

An easy answer to your question .. 

CI 3 is supporting 5.2 .. How many apps are you going to build based on PHP 5.2 with CI 3? 
The answer is 0 I think ? 

At the same time CI 3 has 1 big minus related to PHP 5.3 - it doesn't have Namespaces..

I think that there is no point to make the same mistake with next CI..

If you have old site build with CI 1/2 or even CI 3 no body will force you to upgrade it to 4.
But if we want new apps to be build with CI they should be up to date with PHP itself..
Best VPS Hosting : Digital Ocean

(This post was last modified: 04-09-2015, 06:20 AM by RWCH.)

(04-09-2015, 04:10 AM)sv3tli0 Wrote:

Out of mind will be planning and development of a Framework based on already PHP version which is at EOL..

CI 3 is supporting 5.2 .. How many apps are you going to build based on PHP 5.2 with CI 3? 

At the same time CI 3 has 1 big minus related to PHP 5.3 - it doesn't have Namespaces..

If you have old site build with CI 1/2 or even CI 3 no body will force you to upgrade it to 4.
But if we want new apps to be build with CI they should be up to date with PHP itself..

I did not say anything about PHP 5.2. nor CodeIgniter 2.

The advantage of having namespaces is not that big. You can easily live without them. In my experience many providers do not support multiple PHP versions and many are on version 5.4, which is supported until September...and that is not 'End Of Life'.

"But if we want new apps to be build with CI they should be up to date with PHP itself.."

Huh? Please read my post again. My beautifully brand new -state of the art- application won't run on the server of many hosting providers. How useful is that? Like I said, be realistic.

(04-09-2015, 06:18 AM)RWCH Wrote:

The advantage of having namespaces is not that big. You can easily live without them. In my experience many providers do not support multiple PHP versions and many are on version 5.4, which is supported until September...and that is not 'End Of Life'.

"But if we want new apps to be build with CI they should be up to date with PHP itself.."

Huh? Please read my post again. My beautifully brand new -state of the art- application won't run on the server of many hosting providers. How useful is that? Like I said, be realistic.

You realise that there's no way that CI4 is released before September, right?

(This post was last modified: 04-09-2015, 06:49 AM by Muzikant.)

In my country, every good web hosting company offering me the choice of PHP version up to 5.5 or 5.6 now. In Control Panel with a few clicks I can upgrade or downgrade PHP version anytime I want and the effect is immediate. It became standard in a last year. I do not know how it is in other countries, but this is my experience.

Do not think only on functions. Think also on security issues. There is only one (not very good) reason why to use obsolete PHP versions. If you have old code which works and you do not want to touch it. One of my friends have on web hosting PHP 4.4, because the code of his application was wrote almost 10 years ago. But if you are making something new, you should not use obsolete PHP versions. In a few years, the PHP 5.6 will be the standard almost everywhere. And where not, those places should be avoided.

(This post was last modified: 04-09-2015, 07:35 AM by RWCH.)

(04-09-2015, 06:22 AM)Narf Wrote:
(04-09-2015, 06:18 AM)RWCH Wrote:

You realise that there's no way that CI4 is released before September, right?

yes I realize that.
I did not say it has to be version 5.4 (or any other version for that matter). I just replied to sv3tli0 comments.

I think that CI should work with all supported PHP versions, and not only the latest and the greatest for the reason I already gave. Of course I do not know what versions that will be at the time CI4 is released, but those should be the versions.

(04-09-2015, 06:47 AM)Muzikant Wrote: Do not think only on functions. Think also on security issues. There is only one (not very good) reason why to use obsolete PHP versions. If you have old code which works and you do not want to touch it. One of my friends have on web hosting PHP 4.4, because the code of his application was wrote almost 10 years ago. But if you are making something new, you should not use obsolete PHP versions. In a few years, the PHP 5.6 will be the standard almost everywhere. And where not, those places should be avoided.

I agree. Like you say, not wanting to touch old code is a very bad reason for not updating.

One note: an older officially supported PHP version != obsolete version.

A good provider offers most/all supported PHP versions. Unfortunately I did not always choose my clients hosting providers and quite a few of the do not offer the latest version(s). I try to convince them to go to another provider, but they do not always listen... and I think we are from the same country. Wink

What I suggest: Just see at what time CI4 is released and just let it support the at that moment officially supported versions.
Me happy, my clients happy.

My rough estimation is that CI4 would take about 2 years as of now to be released. So - 7.

(This post was last modified: 04-09-2015, 12:41 PM by Athov.)

PHP 5.6 is the better choice
CI 4 will probably not get out until the end of 2016 even maybe the end of 2017 so it's better to be 5.6 at that time most hosting providers will already support 5.6
of course php 7 is a good idea too
but after all is said the developers are the one that will decided to release CI 4.x as a final version for php 5.6 or as the first for php 7
any other version before php 5.6 is not worth the effort

It is important estimation after CI4 release when serious CI4-based projects will appear in "Spotlight" section of this forum. Add another year.

CI4 will be really a BC break, and if its target version is PHP7, then people will have more motivation and will feel more sense to rewrite their solutions. Once it is a huge rewrite, throw away everything old at the future moment, including PHP5.

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2015, 01:42 AM by sv3tli0.)

(04-09-2015, 12:51 PM)ivantcholakov Wrote: It is important estimation after CI4 release when serious CI4-based projects will appear in "Spotlight" section of this forum. Add another year.

CI4 will be really a BC break, and if its target version is PHP7, then people will have more motivation and will feel more sense to rewrite their solutions. Once it is a huge rewrite, throw away everything old at the future moment, including PHP5.

When I started the thread I think for PHP7 as option but its too high target. Its not even Finalized yet..

My idea for CI version is:

CI 1/2 - are old good original CI's supporting the old PHP versions 
CI 3 - is the current stable version which has support of 5.2.X versions
Now here we have a blank spot that there is no version of CI which is based on 5.3/5.4/5.5 versions as they are the current base PHP versions. For that we need 1 release before we move on PHP 7. 
I know that once CI decides to leave PHP 5 there will be again a lot of refactoring but this is how it should happen at least I think that way.

P.S > Of course CI 4 should be fully ready for PHP7 as even based on php 5 generation it must be usable at any platform with PHP7.
Best VPS Hosting : Digital Ocean

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB