Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CodeIgniter 2 EOL - October 2015

Now that we have started working towards CodeIgniter 4, it is time to retire CodeIgniter 2. We are no longer considering feature requests for CodeIgniter 2, but will continue to provide security fixes until Oct 31st, 2015 - the EOL date for CI2.

This subforum will remain open, for community support of other CI2 developers.

We strongly encourage the community to upgrade to CodeIgniter 3, and to get involved in the CodeIgniter 4 planning and development, to ensure the best possible framework for us all!

it is strongly recommended to migrate to CI4 from older versions of CI. Better use CI3 for your projects.

@alkarim Hard to migrate to CI4 when its only in discussion/planning phase Smile

7 months for support after launching your next version seems a little bit low, but I guess there's enough information out on stack overflow and such to compensate.

There is zero interest in me moving over to CI 3.0. If anything, I would probably spend the next 7 months investigating Lumen. Some of us aren't relying on hooks, helpers and a full-stack framework.

(04-17-2015, 10:47 AM)no1youknowz Wrote: There is zero interest in me moving over to CI 3.0.  If anything, I would probably spend the next 7 months investigating Lumen.  Some of us aren't relying on hooks, helpers and a full-stack framework.

Go for it. But please stop spamming us with it ... honestly, it's painfully obvious that you're looking for excusess to mention Laravel in all of your posts.

(This post was last modified: 04-17-2015, 04:58 PM by ciadmin.)

(04-17-2015, 10:22 AM)albertleao Wrote: 7 months for support after launching your next version seems a little bit low, but I guess there's enough information out on stack overflow and such to compensate.

7 months? CI2 has basically been in maintenance mode since 2011, which is why so many of the community moved away.
Now that we have a viable successor, CI3, it is time to embrace it Smile

We have all the forum posts from EllisLab, most of which are for CI2, and the forum still has many CI2 users.

We are not abandoning CI2 in the sense of "good luck, you are on your own", we are acknowledging that we cannot afford to commit more of our precious development resources into fixing it past EOL.

Honestly, while I understand the decision, CI3 was a moving target for most of the development period. It may have been more stable in the last couple of years than the development branches of most PHP frameworks, but it wasn't truly stable until the session branch was merged.

I've been focusing most of my available development time for Bonfire on CI3 compatibility since RC1 was announced. I released the first version of Bonfire with any level of real CI3 support 10 days ago. Now, I'm looking at moving the platform to fully support CI3 (with minimal CI2 support) in just over 6 months. This means that I have to spend all of my available development time on CI3 compatibility, including some time that otherwise would not have been spent on Bonfire at all.

Realistically, the documented changes are not terribly difficult to deal with, though I ran into at least one that drove me to create a compatibility function to get over the issues until I have time to rewrite a couple of libraries. The undocumented changes and other unknowns are a nightmare, though.

At this point, I know that most of Bonfire works fine under CI3 (with the changes I pushed to Github this morning). I have no idea where I should expect problems to appear as I start testing not only Bonfire but my entire site. The issues people have been reporting with set_value() and the form_validation library are certainly a concern, and the overhaul of the database libraries could cause any number of subtle, difficult-to-trace errors.

Here I am about to submit a web application project written in CI2.x on June 4 that is tomorrow. I had no experience in CI before, had to learn and develop(about 2 months) it since the client had already built most part of the system using CI2. I am sure the application will keep running irrespective of CI2/3/4.

(04-17-2015, 04:54 PM)ciadmin Wrote:
(04-17-2015, 10:22 AM)albertleao Wrote: 7 months for support after launching your next version seems a little bit low, but I guess there's enough information out on stack overflow and such to compensate.

7 months? CI2 has basically been in maintenance mode since 2011, which is why so many of the community moved away.
Now that we have a viable successor, CI3, it is time to embrace it Smile

We have all the forum posts from EllisLab, most of which are for CI2, and the forum still has many CI2 users.

We are not abandoning CI2 in the sense of "good luck, you are on your own", we are acknowledging that we cannot afford to commit more of our precious development resources into fixing it past EOL.

7 months after launching your next version. After launching your next version.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB