Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Practical CodeIgniter 3 - A new book coming soon

Hey guys - we are live!

If you've been waiting for the book, please head over to LeanPub and checking out the free sample - then grabbing your own copy before the price goes up.

If you signed up to be notified, you should have received an email about the release. If not, this is your heads up. Smile

I hope you enjoy the current 80 pages. Please know that new chapters will be released every 2-3 weeks. At least that's the current plan, but will be impacted by real life at times, I am sure, though I'll try to keep that to a minimum.

Happy Coding!

(This post was last modified: 07-15-2015, 06:04 PM by orionstar.)

(07-15-2015, 07:13 AM)kilishan Wrote: Hey guys - we are live!

If you've been waiting for the book, please head over to LeanPub and checking out the free sample - then grabbing your own copy before the price goes up.

If you signed up to be notified, you should have received an email about the release. If not, this is your heads up. Smile

I hope you enjoy the current 80 pages. Please know that new chapters will be released every 2-3 weeks. At least that's the current plan, but will be impacted by real life at times, I am sure, though I'll try to keep that to a minimum.

Happy Coding!

I've got the mail and just bought he book. I've scrolled over the book and read the fourth chapter("Showing your work"), some thoughts about it:
  • Too much basic stuff in the Constructing Pages section. This book is for advanced users, right?
  • I like the idea you give an alternative to HMVC "widgets", I am using something similar in my CMS, and this is similar to PyroCMS 1-2
  • Why you choose Twig? And why you didn't use Composer? It's for simplyfing the chapter?
  • The theme system should be decoupled with the asset handling
  • I am very happy with you're using caching everywhere, libs and sample codes often forgets about it
I hope I will have enought time in the next couple weeks to read it over thoroughly from the beginning.

Thanks for purchasing a copy and for the feedback.

The book is not targeted just at advanced devs. As I say in the preface, it's for a little bit of everyone. In these first chapters I'm trying to show things the "CodeIgniter" way when possible. I know that a lot of devs have to deal with shared hosting and don't really have access to SSH to do Composer updates, etc. so I didn't want to force Composer everywhere. Don't worry, though, the last chapter will be all about integrating Composer into your workflow and will be a big one. I plan on really touching the ideas that Composer is one key part that lets you write a PHP application that happens to use CodeIgniter, instead of writing a CodeIgniter application. I feel that distinction really helps when thinking about app structure and converting between framework version (like CI3 - 4) or even over to other frameworks over the lifespan of a running application.

I chose Twig because it's fairly popular, and was easy to integrate for the example. I could have chosen Smarty, but to be honest, I am not a huge Smarty fan and felt it would be more complex to integrate then something like Twig or Plates, from what I recall of my time using it in the past.

Again, thanks for grabbing a copy. I look forward to additional comments as you get further along. The great thing about publishing at LeanPub is that I can easily make revisions and add stuff to existing chapters as needed any time in the future.

Just bought my copy, really looking forward to having a good read through it and excited at what I will learn!

I have an almost confirmed bug CI project starting soon and I'm keen to apply as much best practice to it as I can, your book should help a long way towards that.

While I have not been able to make the progress that I was hoping this last few weeks, I did get the first 1/2 of the database chapter finished out sent out to current readers tonight. That's another 16 pages of goodness, for those counting. It covers things like:
  • All of the available drivers and how to use them, including whether using PDO is worth it or not.
  • Details on some of the more confusing config settings and when/why you would want to use them, and when you shouldn't.
  • A brief overview of the basics
  • Work with results, including going into detail about using custom result objects. This alone has the potential to change the way you work with data if you're not already using it.
  • and more...
If you already have it - be sure to grab your updated copy. If not - why not?! Smile

Any estimation of the completion/release date?

Yorr book is simply awesome. Great work. Thanks.
          Heart  love codeigniter Heart
          Learning  best  practices
     Rate my post if you found it helpfull

(12-15-2015, 01:54 AM)johnpon Wrote: Any estimation of the completion/release date?

Yeah, I guess I haven't updated this page lately, but a couple of other chapters have been released. I've gotten sucked into working on CI 4 and have not been working as hard at the book as I could have. I apologize for that. I've got a couple of other items I want to wrap up on the early codebase for CI4 before I pause on that and focus on knocking the rest of the book out. Hoping to get the final release out by March.

You can currently get the pre-release copy (and always get updates) over at LeanPub.

(12-15-2015, 08:13 PM)jaynarayan Wrote: Yorr book is simply awesome. Great work. Thanks.

Thanks!

A new release of your favorite CodeIgniter 3 book is out. (O.K. It’s the only general one that I’m aware of, but that still makes it true, right!?)

This release adds a chapter on working with files that provides a quick overview of the many higher-level tools available to work with files since it’s easy to gloss over some of them as we learn the framework. It shows a simple way to do automated backups of your database, compress the results, and FTP it to a remote server for safekeeping. We also cover how to easily work with multiple file upload scripts.

Thank you, reading the sample now. Looking forward eagerly to the complete book Smile

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB