Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Is Codeigniter good for my website?

(This post was last modified: 07-13-2015, 03:36 PM by 20GT.)

A question/answer type of website built on a platform capable of the following:

1)     A answer home page similar to
        a)     https://answers.yahoo.com/
        b)    https://acrobatusers.com/

2)     Able to pull selected information from the forum/pic db as home page content

3)     CCS

4)     An advanced "Ask" page that includes an easy way to insert selected pictures from database.

5)     A forum: way to communicate openly like a regular forum.

6)     A picture database:
        a)     Members can select pictures ahead of time to import when explaining their projects.
        b)    A link from each of certain type (finished projects) of pictures to a page to a prescription on how to do that project.

7)     Able to easily pull select pictures from the picture database and insert into question.

8)     PDF Prescription page: easily formed details on how complete projects filled out by professionals.

9)     Members of different levels and rights with advanced profile pages capable of showing select pics
        a)     Normal
        b)    Moderators
        c)     professionals (project experts)
                    i)     A expert list, similar to the phonebook, with likes to profile page
        d)    Admin

10)  An ads sysetem

(Person A) signs up and asks a question. They pick a few pictures from the database to help explain what project he wants.

A professional browses the questions, picks (Person A)'s question and discusses it with him. When things are concluded the professional submits (Person A) a prescription PDF download to take to a professional in his area.

[Image: 2q15bah.jpg]

http://www.codeigniter.com/userguide3/ge...lcome.html

None of what you describe, is built-in in CodeIgniter. But CI is a great framework to build on.
The MVC approach  (Model - View - Controller) enables you to separate your application's logic form what is displayed in your browser. The greater part of the logic itself, however, must come from you as a developer.

(This post was last modified: 07-11-2015, 05:35 PM by 20GT.)

(07-11-2015, 01:13 AM)Wouter60 Wrote: The greater part of the logic itself, however, must come from you as a developer.
lol... If I were a developer. Since I'm not can anyone tell me
1. whats best for the forum part for my site?
2. whats best for the picture database part for my site?

(07-11-2015, 01:13 AM)Wouter60 Wrote: None of what you describe, is built-in in CodeIgniter. But CI is a great framework to build on.

I guess I don't understand. If Phpbb3 stands alone and my Picture db also stands alone what would CI do?
Once more into the fray.
Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
Live and die on this day.

Quote:lol... If I were a developer. Since I'm not can anyone tell me

1. whats best for the forum part for my site?
2. whats best for the picture database part for my site?
Since you are not a developer, you should write down your requirements as SMART as possible and discuss them with the person are team that is going to build your website.
A developer (or development team) should decide which technological solution fits best to meet your requirements. That shouldn't be your concern.
If you do plan to build a website yourself, you will have to learn skills to do that. CodeIgniter is not a tool that will build an application for you, without you needing to know about php, mysql, css and javascript.

@20GT forget programming B| you have wordpress Big Grin

I'm not a programmer correct, but a programmer did mention Ci and I would like to understand what it is.
I definitely don't want to get suck with a camouflaged wordpress.

actually that is the hardest part to find developers to talk to to understand what is needed.
I cant seem to find a good forum that discusses this. any sugestions
i had to resort to putting in a quote at freelancer just to talk to developers
Once more into the fray.

(This post was last modified: 07-13-2015, 07:30 AM by mwhitney.)

(07-12-2015, 05:35 PM)20GT Wrote: I'm not a programmer correct, but a programmer did mention Ci and I would like to understand what it is.
I definitely don't want to get suck with a camouflaged wordpress.

actually that is the hardest part to find developers to talk to to understand what is needed.
I cant seem to find a good forum that discusses this. any sugestions
i had to resort to putting in a quote at freelancer just to talk to developers

CI is a PHP framework for building websites and web-based applications. Wordpress is a Content Management System. The only thing they really have in common is that they both use PHP.

A developer could build a Content Management System using CI. A developer could also build a forum, and a website that interacts with your picture database in many different ways. They might also choose to use existing technologies (such as phpbb3) to handle portions of the website and use CI as a "glue" to hold everything together.

Because CI is a relatively low-level framework, it's often difficult to describe the benefits and features of the framework to non-developers. It takes care of a lot of very basic functionality which most non-developers rarely consider, such as URI routing, application configuration, encryption, multi-language support, session handling, database access, etc. It does not supply a lot of higher-level functionality which is more likely to start showing up on the radar for non-developers, like user management, access control, content management, forums, etc. However, the developer is free to build any of these things (and more), because CI isn't aimed at one specific type of website or application.

When it comes down to it, though, there are many frameworks available in PHP which supply more or less functionality. Some may be better for specific tasks, but, in the end, the best framework for your site will probably be the one with which the developer working on your site is most comfortable.

thanks
Once more into the fray.

If you don't know how to programming, get a team and start your project now. Using CI is good enough but you need a good programmer to built your website.?
Keep calm.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB