Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI3 Fire Starter Skeleton Application
Information 

CI3 Fire Starter is a CodeIgniter3 skeleton application that includes jQuery and Twitter Bootstrap. It is intended to be light weight, minimalistic and not get in your way of building great CodeIgniter 3 applications. It is also intended for newbies who want a simple, easy platform for learning CodeIgniter.
  • CodeIgniter 3.x
  • Base controllers for Public, Private, Admin and API classes
  • Internationalization (translations) support
    • Jsi18n Library to support internationalization in your JS files
  • The latest version of jQuery
  • The latest version of Twitter Bootstrap
  • The latest version of Font Awesome
  • Independent responsive admin and frontend themes
  • Summernote WYSIWYG editor
  • Auto-loaded core config file
  • Auto-loaded core language file (based on selected language)
  • Auto-loaded core helper files
    • Human-readable JSON string output for API functions
    • Array to CSV exporting
    • Enhanced CAPTCHA
    • Random password generator
    • Available languages fetcher
  • Simple user authentication with registration, forgot password and profile editor
  • Contact Us page with enhanced CAPTCHA
  • Basic admin tool with dashboard, user management, settings and Contact Us message list
  • File-based sessions
Sample welcome screen:

[Image: Screen_Shot_2015_12_19_at_9_47_56_AM.png?raw=true]

Sample admin screen:

[Image: Screen_Shot_2015_12_19_at_9_52_44_AM.png?raw=true]

Get it at GitHub.
Jason B.

Is this the first version?
Alphat? Beta? or stable?
Interesting will try it.
No SEO spam

Is summernote safer than MarkDown?
No SEO spam

You have everything under a hdocs folder which is no good on some shared hosing because they use public_html for folder.
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

(12-23-2015, 02:42 AM)solidcodes Wrote: Is this the first version?
Alphat? Beta? or stable?
Interesting will try it.

It's stable. Started it quite a while ago but just got around to posting it in the forums here.
Jason B.

(12-23-2015, 04:56 AM)InsiteFX Wrote: You have everything under a hdocs folder which is no good on some shared hosing because they use public_html for folder.

Good point. I'll make a change to customize that.
Jason B.

(12-23-2015, 02:44 AM)solidcodes Wrote: Is summernote safer than MarkDown?

I don't know. There are so many WYSIWYG editors to choose from, this is simply the one I chose... mostly because it's lightweight, it works great with Bootstrap, it's easily customizable and images are saved using base64 encoding.
Jason B.

There are some pretty major authentication issues. To your credit, you've only said that this is "basic authentication". It might be more helpful to provide a more robust authentication. Yes, it's nice to give a newbie something to start with, but you don't want them to have the impression that websites they make for themselves or other people are reasonably safe by using what you've provided.

(12-23-2015, 12:38 PM)skunkbad Wrote: There are some pretty major authentication issues. To your credit, you've only said that this is "basic authentication". It might be more helpful to provide a more robust authentication. Yes, it's nice to give a newbie something to start with, but you don't want them to have the impression that websites they make for themselves or other people are reasonably safe by using what you've provided.

Thanks for chiming in! Ironically, I did consider including Community Auth but felt it was just too much for this project, which is in fact why I went with a salted sha512 hash. I wouldn't necessarily use the words 'major issues'... since as you validated, this isn't intended for enterprise level applications. I'm am curious, though. What would you suggest to beef it up a little more? Crypt perhaps? I'm certainly open to any suggestions. Would you consider forking it and contributing?
Jason B.

(12-23-2015, 04:09 PM)Maverick Wrote:
(12-23-2015, 12:38 PM)skunkbad Wrote: There are some pretty major authentication issues. To your credit, you've only said that this is "basic authentication". It might be more helpful to provide a more robust authentication. Yes, it's nice to give a newbie something to start with, but you don't want them to have the impression that websites they make for themselves or other people are reasonably safe by using what you've provided.

Thanks for chiming in! Ironically, I did consider including Community Auth but felt it was just too much for this project, which is in fact why I went with a salted sha512 hash. I wouldn't necessarily use the words 'major issues'... since as you validated, this isn't intended for enterprise level applications. I'm am curious, though. What would you suggest to beef it up a little more? Crypt perhaps? I'm certainly open to any suggestions. Would you consider forking it and contributing?

First, I don't want to send your thread down a rabbit hole. I know what you've done is much more than authentication, and I can appreciate that. If you used or remembered the earlier version of Community Auth, you'd know that it too was sort of a starter application.

Using PHP's hash function may be fine for passwords. I think the default (because it was included with PHP as of PHP 5.3) is using BCRYPT for hashing. That is done with crypt, but also can be done with PHP 5.5's new password hashing function. That's not what I was most concerned with though.

1) You need to regenerate the session ID after somebody successfully logs in.

2) CI no longer has a config option to encrypt the session data, and whether using file based sessions or database based sessions, session data is sitting on the server as plain text. You should encrypt it.

3) You'll want to review how to properly set the encryption key, because copying binary data as a string is not the same as using binary data for an encryption key. When the encryption key is created, you'll use bin2hex to copy it, then use hex2bin in your config file. Also, because this is a distributed application, you shouldn't be providing an encryption key at all.

4) Although you want to have confidence that the session is tied to a specific user, you really should physically tie it to the user by storing the session ID in the user's database record. Update when the session ID is regenerated. Delete when they log out. You could alternatively do this in reverse, but only if using database based sessions.

5) There's no limitation on login attempts, so a bot can submit your login form endlessly looking for success.

6) There's no limitation on the username or password lengths. Imagine the computation time if somebody copy and pastes a few MB of data into the password field, and then submits your form 100 times per second.

These are just some of the things I thought about as I was skimming through your code, and by no means a thorough review.

Right now I'm not in a position to help out. I've got some pro bono work that is taking up all of my spare time. I'll let you know if that changes.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB