Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Seeking a CI Expert for Guidance

Aloha, Admin, Sir or Madam,

Apologies to start. I am not sure where else to go with my inquiry, and am at a total lost. Would you please let me know where I can post following message in CodeIgniter Forum, I will be most happy to do so.

"So very new to CI, and we are in need of guidance, please. We had someone use CI and MVC for our site, and now he is cannot finish the site. 

Would someone who is CI knowledgeable please guide us of whether or not our site is at all usable? It was due to go 'live' before Christmas, but he said CI and MVC framework is very. very difficult. 

We started our site on 11 October, and the parts we requested to be finished first do not work yet. Does it take this normally take this long?"

Mahalo nui loa for your time and for reading.

Kind regards,
Rev Dr Cha

p.s. I will remain in the forum all day, and I am in Hawaii, USA so PST -2. Mahalo.

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2015, 01:18 PM by Shawn.)

Codeigniter is very, very easy to use. As frameworks go it is considered the simplest to work with. Working without a framework is harder. Web application development starts easy but becomes much harder once you get past the basics. It always takes much longer than expected and experienced programmers still underestimate the time needed to complete a project.

That being said: If your site, by any chance, is intended for a church then I think you would be better off starting all over again and using WordPress. You can get a basic site up and running in WordPress in days. See how far you get with WordPress; and if down the road there is functionality that it cannot fulfill, only then consider developing something using Codeigniter.  You can also build specialized, database-driven functionality in a Codeigniter application separate from your wordpress site. That way one is not dependent on the other.

(12-22-2015, 01:05 PM)Shawn Wrote: Codeigniter is very, very easy to use. As frameworks go it is considered the simplest to work with. Working without a framework is harder. Web application development starts easy but becomes much harder once you get past the basics. It always takes much longer than expected and experienced programmers still underestimate the time needed to complete a project.

That being said: If your site, by any chance, is intended for a church then I think you would be better off starting all over again and using WordPress. You can get a basic site up and running in WordPress in days. See how far you get with WordPress; and if down the road there is functionality that it cannot fulfill, only then consider developing something using Codeigniter.  You can also build specialized, database-driven functionality in a Codeigniter application separate from your wordpress site. That way one is not dependent on the other.

Mahalo for the reply, Shawn, but it is not for a church, but for professors. And I prefer no WordPress, but is CI just an extension for WP and Mojo Templates?

Mahalo.

Codeigniter is very easy if the prigrammer took enough time studying it.
And if the programmer is prepared.

by the way what is the project all about?
And what part your programmer experiencing difficulty?
No SEO spam

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2015, 05:50 PM by solidcodes.)

Often things get very hard when the programmer mistakenly under estimated the right time to finish the project. This is also the reason I dont accept rush project unless the client has extra budget.

I dont really recommend wordpress because the learning curve for wordpress is longer unless you are looking for specific plugins like woocommerce etc...
Or am I bias? lol

Again I want to iterate this for programmers the key here is PREPAREDNESS, if you are not prepared dont accept the project.
No SEO spam

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2015, 06:41 PM by Liquid.)

(12-22-2015, 01:59 PM)solidcodes Wrote: Often things get very hard when the programmer mistakenly under estimated the right time to finish the project. This is also the reason I dont accept rush project unless the client has extra budget.

I dont really recommend wordpress because the learning curve for wordpress is longer unless you are looking for specific plugins like woocommerce etc...

Again I want to iterate this for programmers the key here is PREPAREDNESS, if you are not prepared dont accept the project.

Mahalo for this for your reply. We had all the agreements in place in October? Again, does it take over 3 months? The structure is there, and we found that he focused on tracking payments, members databases (and we already had a relationship with PayPal) and the registration, login and blogs were never worked on for 2.5 months (when we specifically asked for those important features).

We are seeking a guide if the site we currently have is usable. Please PM if interested in guiding us. Please, no offense meant, but we are looking for someone who can understand good English and CI with MVC thoroughly.

Mahalo for reading.

The best solution I guess is replace your current programmer.
It's just like you need to find another doctor if you feel you are not getting well.

There is a JOB section in this forum, just in case you are willing to hire another programmer.
No SEO spam

Liquid,

I sent you an email through this site.

(12-22-2015, 10:39 AM)Liquid Wrote: Would someone who is CI knowledgeable please guide us of whether or not our site is at all usable? It was due to go 'live' before Christmas, but he said CI and MVC framework is very. very difficult. 

We started our site on 11 October, and the parts we requested to be finished first do not work yet. Does it take this normally take this long?"

Mahalo nui loa for your time and for reading.

Kind regards,
Rev Dr Cha

p.s. I will remain in the forum all day, and I am in Hawaii, USA so PST -2. Mahalo.

Hello, Dr. Cha.

I am not offering you my services, so I feel comfortable telling you that apparently your developer has not been able to meet your minimum technical expectations. You don't say what your site is, but after two months, even a beginning developer should be able to show you some results.

Neither CodeIgniter nor MVC are difficult. It's true that endless ideological arguments happen over MVC at the highest levels, but that's true of all technology and indeed of all human ventures. I'm sure you know all about the debates over how many angels could dance on the head of a pin, but that has nothing to do with ministering to the poor and comforting the afflicted. What man of God would tell a dying man that he had no words of comort to offer because the number of angels who can dance on the head of pin is still not settled? In view of that, I would not accept your developer's excuses.

CodeIgniter is an excellent PHP framework, but if you're looking for a Church Management System, there are many such systems already developed who provide robust performance. But if you want a custom solution tailor-made to your church or institution, it shouldn't take more than a week for a developer to show you a firm plan for moving forward.

Your developer may be competent technically, and the obstacles he has found may be real, but he has not managed to communicate this credibly to you. I fear you may need to cut your losses and find a different developer.
Hey, don't work without a PHP debugger. Several free IDEs have this features built in. Two are NetBeans and CodeLobster. Without a debugger, it's like you're driving with a blindfold on -- you are going to crash!

(12-22-2015, 05:33 PM)enlivenapp Wrote: Liquid,

I sent you an email through this site.

Mahalo, but no eMail has come to me. Please PM, if you wish.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB