Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Install to localhost

AND, I just found, by a search, that by turning on "short_open_tag = On" this makes the site work! A message in the php.ini file too "; XAMPP for Linux is currently old fashioned" Well, at least the home screen works. The links do not, for some reason, as the go to undefined urls. But, the home screen displays, the home screen displays, the home screen displays!

Thank you all for your suggestions and input! I really appreciate it.

Now, just to figure out why the links are invalid. Must be something to do with a setting somewhere.

Thanks again everyone!

AND, it now ALL works!!! I had initially disabled the .htaccess file so I could eliminate other branches. I re-enabled the .htaccess file and now the links work too. So, all up and running. Thanks again to all of you!

And, I'll stop talking to myself and posting in this thread now...

(01-28-2016, 10:27 AM)nairb Wrote: The downloaded/imported site still doesn't work.  But, it now displays a bunch of code/sql and ends with an error of "Fatal error: Class 'User' not found in C:\xampp\htdocs\system\core\Loader.php on line 303"

Is that a CodeIgniter application built under 2.x and now running under 3.x? I ask because CodeIgniter 3 has stricter capitalization rules.

And of course, gotta eliminate it as possibility -- the application does work "at home," where it was living before you took over?

Finally, like I say in my signature, get a debugger if possible. Netbeans and Codelobster both have one, and if you can get an older version of Notepad++, you can load the equally old an unsupported debug plugin. I have Notepad++ 6.5.5, and the debug plug in still works. It's a little unstable the more you use it, so I exit and restart Notepad++ from time to time.

Maybe I'm preaching to the choir, but it's invaluable to execute code line by line, see values change, and go, "Oh, there's where you're going wrong!"
Hey, don't work without a PHP debugger. Several free IDEs have this features built in. Two are NetBeans and CodeLobster. Without a debugger, it's like you're driving with a blindfold on -- you are going to crash!

I believe CI 3, because it was built recently, but I don't honestly know. Yes, it works fine on the live server, and of course, fine on my local server now too!

I used netbeans a long long time ago, and didn't care for how slow it was. I've not used codelobster and just now downloaded and it seems decent. And yes, being able to step through is nice, so codelobster will be handy. Thanks!

(01-28-2016, 05:12 PM)nairb Wrote: I believe CI 3, because it was built recently, but I don't honestly know.   Yes, it works fine on the live server, and of course, fine on my local server now too!

I used netbeans a long long time ago, and didn't care for how slow it was.  I've not used codelobster and just now downloaded and it seems decent. And yes, being able to step through is nice, so codelobster will be handy. Thanks!

Good luck, man! I stopped using Netbeans because it was so slow (Java apps are inevitably slower than pure executables), but I was happy with CodeLobster. Plus it's free.   Smile
Hey, don't work without a PHP debugger. Several free IDEs have this features built in. Two are NetBeans and CodeLobster. Without a debugger, it's like you're driving with a blindfold on -- you are going to crash!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB