Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
[split] Linux ... (CommunityAuth)

(05-16-2016, 07:52 AM)skunkbad Wrote:
(05-16-2016, 07:05 AM)christaliise Wrote:
(05-15-2016, 09:44 AM)skunkbad Wrote:
(05-15-2016, 03:53 AM)christaliise Wrote:
(05-14-2016, 11:55 AM)skunkbad Wrote: How to Install Wine 1.8 Stable via New PPA in Ubuntu

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2015...e-new-ppa/

Install Virtualbox on Ubuntu

See the part "Debian-based Linux distributions"

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2015...e-new-ppa/ - I get this result - 404 Whoa...you broke the Internet!

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads - I don't understand the contents of this page. Yes, I did see the part "Debian-based Linux distributions"

I do wish I could move ahead on Ubuntu.

The first link was just a result from searching Google for "Ubuntu 16.04 install Wine". Search for it and I'm sure you'll see the proper link.

As for not knowing what to do with the Virtualbox instructions, it sounds like you are blown away with terminal usage, and that's normal for a new Linux user. Windows almost never requires using the terminal, but in Linux you use it for many reasons, and it is powerful. I think what you should do is try to find a book at the library or watch some training videos on Ubuntu. Udemy.com has some nice Ubuntu videos, and there are probably many on YouTube. I would probably not be able to walk you through the installation of Wine and Virtualbox in a way that helped you understand what you were doing without writing a small book.

Have you used the terminal yet?

I right clicked the desktop and found "Open Terminal" among others.

I've tried "sudo apt-get install wine" which returned "Unable to locate package wine"
I also tried "sudo apt-get install virtualbox" which returned "sudu: command not found"

Quite frankly, I do not like Ubuntu. I am spending far more time with Ubuntu, than I have been wasting with Windows 7 & 10.

My mission is to build a website that is simple. It would be nice if I could find an Operating System that is simple. Is there a Linux distribution that is simple?

Maybe I should download Windows XP.

1) Opened up terminal - Good
2) Typed in commands that were not in the instructions provided by links - Bad

Ubuntu is considered one of the more user friendly distros for beginners, but many people like Linux Mint, so you might give that a shot. Honestly though, if you're having a hard time just installing Wine and Virtualbox, there's little chance that you'll be successful setting up the whole dev environment.

Windows XP is dead. You'd at least want to use 7.

OK, I accept your criticism. A GUI is simple and I want to stick with simple processes.

I have read many praises on Ubuntu including your own, but my own personal experience with Ubuntu is not good.

I have also studied the Linux Mint website, and other writeups, and I understand it is based on Ubuntu, which puts me off a little. However, I'll try it in the next few days.

I have 3 laptops;

(1) The new laptop I have recently bought and that I have installed Ubuntu. It is a compact unit, with a fast processor, and I was looking forward to using it for everyday usage.
(2) The laptop that I'm currently using, which I bought about 5 years ago, with Windows 10, but it previously had Windows 7. It has always been slow even with Windows 7. Some of my problems maybe caused by the processor, and or the Internet connection. I hate using it.
(3) A laptop I bought around 10 years ago. It was the cheapest I could buy at the time. It had Windows XP, and was fast. But it died from overuse. It needs a new harddrive, and the data transferred. I had no complaints with it.

Some other popular distros that are not derived from Ubuntu are OpenSUSE, Fedora, and Centos. Lots of information to be found at DistroWatch.com

(05-16-2016, 11:27 PM)skunkbad Wrote: Some other popular distros that are not derived from Ubuntu are OpenSUSE, Fedora, and Centos. Lots of information to be found at DistroWatch.com

Hi skunkbad, have you tried or know anything about Debian?

(05-27-2016, 06:58 AM)christaliise Wrote:
(05-16-2016, 11:27 PM)skunkbad Wrote: Some other popular distros that are not derived from Ubuntu are OpenSUSE, Fedora, and Centos. Lots of information to be found at DistroWatch.com

Ubuntu derived from Debian

(05-27-2016, 07:02 AM)Code4fun Wrote:
(05-27-2016, 06:58 AM)christaliise Wrote:

Ubuntu derived from Debian

OK, but Ubuntu does not have "Wine" installed by default, apparently Debian does.

And Debian appears more suited to a developer. I intend downloading it tonight.

I've checked out Debian. I'm sure it's good. I don't like the Gnome desktop environment that it comes with, but if you like it then use it.

(05-27-2016, 10:28 AM)skunkbad Wrote: I've checked out Debian. I'm sure it's good. I don't like the Gnome desktop environment that it comes with, but if you like it then use it.

I bought my laptop at the beginning of May and I'm still not connected to the Internet. I downloaded SolydK but found that dysfunctional. Distrowatch says Debian has "Wine" and is popular but I can't find "Wine" in https://packages.debian.org/stable/

I'm currently downloading Debian and it is showing 557 MB. It has 37000 packages. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm downloading the minimal installation without "Wine". I want an OS which has "Wine" installed by default. When I downloaded Ubuntu it has 1.4 GB, and does not have "Wine" installed by default.

(05-27-2016, 12:00 PM)christaliise Wrote:
(05-27-2016, 10:28 AM)skunkbad Wrote: I've checked out Debian. I'm sure it's good. I don't like the Gnome desktop environment that it comes with, but if you like it then use it.

I bought my laptop at the beginning of May and I'm still not connected to the Internet. I downloaded SolydK but found that dysfunctional. Distrowatch says Debian has "Wine" and is popular but I can't find "Wine" in https://packages.debian.org/stable/

I'm currently downloading Debian and it is showing 557 MB. It has 37000 packages. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm downloading the minimal installation without "Wine". I want an OS which has "Wine" installed by default. When I downloaded Ubuntu it has 1.4 GB, and does not have "Wine" installed by default.

I would say your best option for advice regarding Debian would be their forum.

I don't mean to make you go elsewhere for support, but it is the proper place for it.

Wine does not come installed by default on any Linux distro that I know off. It's about the the same thing as why CodeIgniter does not come with a complete CMS. It's designed by default to be lightweight. Wine is an application you must install yourself. Frankly, if your not willing to do a few minutes of Googling and finding out how you can install Wine in just 3-4 steps in most Linux distro's then I believe Linux is not well suited for you.

If you only want to install wine to be able to use your windows editor UltraEdit I suggest that you try out other linux (/multiplatform) based editors. If your not willing to change your on habits then you will not be able to evolve.

- Sublime Text 3 (not sure why Skunkbad advises the old 2 version, the guy who created Sublime Text advises to install version 3 even though it's officially in beta stage).
- Atom
- PhpStorm
- Netbeans
- Eclipse
- Aptana
- Geany

I've been using Linux on servers for about 17 years now and it has been my main desktop environment for about the last 8 years. As a desktop I currently prefer to use Debian with Cinnamon but I've been using Ubuntu alot in the past but abanonded Ubuntu completely because I dont like the Unity desktop and it's integration of amazon search.

(05-27-2016, 01:33 PM)skunkbad Wrote:
(05-27-2016, 12:00 PM)christaliise Wrote:

I would say your best option for advice regarding Debian would be their forum.

I don't mean to make you go elsewhere for support, but it is the proper place for it.

OK, but I've sent a message in http://ask.debian.net/questions/ which has not been answered and I've tried to register in http://forums.debian.net/ and get a message saying my IP has been blacklisted for spamming. I don't spam. But I'm connected to an ISP which does not require identification and probably a feeding ground for spammers. I'm beginning to loose faith in Debian.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB