Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI4 CMS

(07-26-2016, 10:51 AM)Ivo Miranda Wrote: Thank you all for your comments. I am still waiting for more opinions so I can have at least a small sample with people that actually use CI for real projects, and with that sample I will do a list of PROs and CONs so I can evaluate better the idea.

Just to get some things straight:
1) I brought to the table the idea of the CMS being "advertised" by the devs if they agree on it... Like "this is the official CI CMS" or something similar. I didn't mean to say they would take their focus out of CI4 at all.
2) Since it is not made by devs it will obviously not be included in CI4. It would be completly optional for those that feel that they are making the wheel once again.

It is *highly unlikely* that CI would endorse any specific addon, such as this kind of CMS.
In the interests of fairness, there could be a number of any kind of addons, highlighted or linked to from an official page/site (the idea has come up before), but it would be something we have found to work with the framework (or a specific version), and any endorsement would come from that addon's community.

(07-26-2016, 01:31 PM)ciadmin Wrote:
(07-26-2016, 10:51 AM)Ivo Miranda Wrote: Thank you all for your comments. I am still waiting for more opinions so I can have at least a small sample with people that actually use CI for real projects, and with that sample I will do a list of PROs and CONs so I can evaluate better the idea.

Just to get some things straight:
1) I brought to the table the idea of the CMS being "advertised" by the devs if they agree on it... Like "this is the official CI CMS" or something similar. I didn't mean to say they would take their focus out of CI4 at all.
2) Since it is not made by devs it will obviously not be included in CI4. It would be completly optional for those that feel that they are making the wheel once again.

It is *highly unlikely* that CI would endorse any specific addon, such as this kind of CMS.
In the interests of fairness, there could be a number of any kind of addons, highlighted or linked to from an official page/site (the idea has come up before), but it would be something we have found to work with the framework (or a specific version), and any endorsement would come from that addon's community.

I understand... Well... Let's hope the idea is good enough to become a real project and to gain good reputation by itself Smile So far it's only an idea. And CI4 is maybe a couple of months from being released so there is still a couple of "if's" to solve and meawhile time to think about it Tongue

Number one If you try to name it CI CMS then you need to ask the owners bcit or jim if you can use the name CI CMS.

Copyrighted information.
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

Jim is on vacation until Aug 25th. Do you guys know if there is anyone else responsible for CI from BCIT?

(08-02-2016, 08:41 AM)Ivo Miranda Wrote: Jim is on vacation until Aug 25th. Do you guys know if there is anyone else responsible for CI from BCIT?

I'm the lead developer on CI4, but not a BCIT employee. Feel free to message me any questions, but I can't guarantee I'll know an answer. Smile

(This post was last modified: 08-02-2016, 09:14 AM by PaulD.)

I am not sure you can copyright the use of the two letters CI. And CI is not the name of the framework anyway, it is just a shorthand for CodeIgniter. You could NOT call it CodeIgniter CMS I am guessing.

Crime and Investigation TV use CI as their name.
CI.com is city investments.
CI is Cigars International,
CI is Consolidated Independent, a music technology company
and that is just first few results of Google.

So I would say you do not need permission to call your system CI CMS. For instance you could say the CI stands for Creative Interface CMS, or Crystal Infusion CMS :-)

However, since you are using CodeIgniter as the framework of choice, you may want to make it clear that you are not endorsed or part of the CI framework, just to be clear and up front.

But CI CMS is an awful name anyway. Surely you can be a bit more creative with it :-)

(08-02-2016, 08:59 AM)kilishan Wrote:
(08-02-2016, 08:41 AM)Ivo Miranda Wrote: Jim is on vacation until Aug 25th. Do you guys know if there is anyone else responsible for CI from BCIT?

I'm the lead developer on CI4, but not a BCIT employee. Feel free to message me any questions, but I can't guarantee I'll know an answer. Smile

I've sent the e-mail to you. Please let me know if you got it and if I should wait for his return of if you can provide me any aditional info or opinion.

(08-02-2016, 09:06 AM)PaulD Wrote: I am not sure you can copyright the use of the two letters CI. And CI is not the name of the framework anyway, it is just a shorthand for CodeIgniter. You could NOT call it CodeIgniter CMS I am guessing.

Crime and Investigation TV use CI as their name.
CI.com is city investments.
CI is Cigars International,
CI is Consolidated Independent, a music technology company
and that is just first few results of Google.

So I would say you do not need permission to call your system CI CMS. For instance you could say the CI stands for Creative Interface CMS, or Crystal Infusion CMS :-)

However, since you are using CodeIgniter as the framework of choice, you may want to make it clear that you are not endorsed or part of the CI framework, just to be clear and up front.

But CI CMS is an awful name anyway. Surely you can be a bit more creative with it :-)

I don't want to call it CI CMS Big Grin Again someone was assuming I would call it that... maybe because of the topic or something... Anyways the name is the least of my concerns right now Smile

I think CMS is the tip of the iceberg. Before that, there should be a shared database design, a shared vision about how to dinamically route the calls and so on...
Eventually it comes the CMS.

But you mean all of that, then YES, I believe it would be great. Hard to do, but great Smile

Usually such a "standard" come from a very sharp guy that write a very sharp book about the framework, adding practice to theory.

In this moment you can find a lot of tutorials "How to create a blog with CI4". Should anyone be writing a book "How to create a website and a CMS with CI4" it will probably be the point to start from.

I'd stand by, for a while. But this is my very humble opinion.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB