Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
IRC Channel

Well Jim, while YOU seem to had one supportive IRC channel .. WE where the ones running it, long before you where there, and after. And thanks for the "kid", its appreciated.

Not appreciated is your attitude man. I'm out of this. And please revoke my OP rights.

(This post was last modified: 07-28-2017, 08:18 AM by ciadmin.)

The "foul-mouthed kids" label I used stems from the following unacceptable behaviors in an open source project community support channel:

- sexual innuendo directed at other users and/or their mothers
- profanity for the sake of profanity
- racial slurs based on a visitor's IP address

I did not ask for the IRC channel to be killed - I asked for the topic line to be modified so it doesn't suggest that the above behavior is what CodeIgniter is about.

I agree that the channel has been great for support in the past, and that not all of the users there demonstrate the above behaviors, but it is clearly time to move on from it.

In this instance, I do believe that the "admin" is right.

Well.... my vulgar words, and "foul-mouth-kid" attitude have caused 0 people to quit #CodeIgniter on Freenode..... you Jim, are responsible for now.... 10+ people leaving in 24 hours... so did your plan really work? Same for you Narf.

Where can we register to join the slack channel?
God Bless CI Contributors Smile

maybe, we could also consider Discord platform.
it has mobile and windows desktop app.
and also web interface.

discord is popular with the gaming community,
but the peoples on the React & React Native have moved there,
thats what they've done with their Reactiflux community.

you don't have to be logged in to join discord.

So, let me get this straight ...

Jim decides to leave the channel.

People with the offensive jokes get offended by being called "foul-mouthed kids" (@pfote: FYI, you were never referred to in any way in this situation)
Same people go out of their way to tell James that they were there before him, and that he's somehow ruining an entire community.

You'd think if you didn't like James, you'd be relived by him leaving the channel. Yet, no - somehow, everybody decides that this means we are pulling some killswitch.

Does anybody remember the hysteria around EllisLab announcing they're looking for a new CI owner?
This is the exact same thing.

(07-28-2017, 08:41 AM)jimi Wrote: Well.... my vulgar words, and "foul-mouth-kid" attitude have caused 0 people to quit #CodeIgniter on Freenode..... you  Jim, are responsible for now.... 10+ people leaving in 24 hours... so did your plan really work? Same for you Narf.

Same for me what? I insist that you explain what you meant.

I don't give a damn about being called a kid or full mouth whatever. What I really don't understand is why this was done the way it was.

If you knew what you wanted to tell us, and you knew to whom you wanted to tell it to, I really don't see why this was handled the way it was. Was it so hard to invite the people you wanted the behaviour to change into a private channel and just talk to them there?

And don't tell me this is not a killswitch when the project leader says:

Quote:I encourage the community to consider our Slack channel instead. It does not have as many users, but is much more civilized. I plan to hold future "office hours" here.

I'm sorry, but this is what a killswitch is.

In any case the other thing I'd like to express here is: 

Quote:- racial slurs based on a visitor's IP address

Indian is not a race, its a nationality.
Website: marcomonteiro.net  | Blog: blog.marcomonteiro.net | Twitter: @marcogmonteiro | TILThings: tilthings.com

(07-31-2017, 04:19 PM)marcogmonteiro Wrote: If you knew what you wanted to tell us, and you knew to whom you wanted to tell it to, I really don't see why this was handled the way it was. Was it so hard to invite the people you wanted the behaviour to change into a private channel and just talk to them there?

Well, I would.

But apparently Jim has tried talking to the channel publicly, to no effect.

(07-31-2017, 04:19 PM)marcogmonteiro Wrote: And don't tell me this is not a killswitch when the project leader says:

Quote:I encourage the community to consider our Slack channel instead. It does not have as many users, but is much more civilized. I plan to hold future "office hours" here.

I'm sorry, but this is what a killswitch is.

No, a killswitch is "we're closing the channel" and literally banning everyone.

Here's the thing ...

Unlike you and me, Jim isn't a "hardcore" IRC user and he only joined #codeigniter because it was an official support channel for the framework. He he takes his PM role very seriously, and as he would no longer be involved in the IRC channel - it's a logical step to invite people somewhere he will be engaged, and feels is a better place.

I don't necessarily agree with this, but it is a completely sane position. If you feel that's over-reacting - that's fine, you're entitled to that opinion, but I'd say you're doing the same thing.

(07-31-2017, 04:19 PM)marcogmonteiro Wrote: In any case the other thing I'd like to express here is: 

Quote:- racial slurs based on a visitor's IP address

Indian is not a race, its a nationality.

I completely agree with this, although with no context taking either side of this argument is a waste of time.

(07-26-2017, 01:07 PM)jlp Wrote: We used to have a helpful IRC channel for CodeIgniter support, but it has been taken over lately by foul-mouthed kids. I won't be frequenting it any longer, sorry.

I encourage the community to consider our Slack channel instead. It does not have as many users, but is much more civilized. I plan to hold future "office hours" here.

I clicked the link and cannot see how to join. It says, "Contact the workspace administrator for an invitation" but does not say who is the admin. Possible to advise how to join?

You can join the Slack channel at http://codeignitersignup.ciblox.com/

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB