Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Best estimates on 3.x LTS for new project work

Sorry if this has been kicked about elsewhere...

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to full stack web dev so I'm learning as I make mistakes on my local server Blush .  I'm specing a rather ambitious CI project that will occupy me for at least a year (too many grandkids soccer games) and I am seeking some advice from the seasoned hands here. 

Initially my project code will be speculative as I refine the application - I anticipate a lot of refactoring!  I've discarded a CMS solution in favor of an approach closer "to the iron"; CI seems the perfect fit.  Laravel is intriguing but exhausting so...
  • What is the long view about ongoing support for CI 3.x branch once CI 4.x comes online?
  • How compatible (in general) will v4.x be to 3.x in a PHP7 server environment? Migration issues?
  • Is general recommendation to start with the less formative 4.0 hoping for production release in mid '18 or stick with 3.x branch and migrate the code when 3.x hits end of life?
TIA 
--Wolf--

Depends on what you mean by support. v3 will be used for years (if not a decade+) after v4 comes out. So there will be a user base and, honestly, its just PHP, so if something isn't working or needs changing - you can either extend the core (or if v3 seems to lose all support you need, just change it yourself)

v4 from v3 will be a clean break (from what I gather) where it will be a project to update to v4 and not just a few fixes here and there.

We had that choice for a large project and went w/v3 because v4 is more pre-alpha than something we'd want to put on a live server (we did however, go with an alpha software elsewhere and that bit us in the butt, so... I really don't recommend it)

(08-17-2017, 11:52 AM)Kaosweaver Wrote: Depends on what you mean by support.  v3 will be used for years (if not a decade+) after v4 comes out.  So there will be a user base and, honestly, its just PHP, so if something isn't working or needs changing - you can either extend the core (or if v3 seems to lose all support you need, just change it yourself)

v4 from v3 will be a clean break (from what I gather) where it will be a project to update to v4 and not just a few fixes here and there.

We had that choice for a large project and went w/v3 because v4 is more pre-alpha than something we'd want to put on a live server (we did however, go with an alpha software elsewhere and that bit us in the butt, so... I really don't recommend it)
Thanks Kaosweaver.  

V3 is a bit more familiar to me as that has been my 'test cell'.  Unslogging my bugs from a  pre-production bug is a recipe for disaster for me - I'm just not that smart yet.  Better the devil I (and y'all) know.  Think I will stay with 3.x track.  

Saw elsewhere that a 2 year support is envisioned for 3 when 4 comes online. Tough to say (here-now) that I'll even need 4.0 which is an altogether different problem for the development team

Regards and Thanks again
--Wolf--

I'd like to ask this question too. Is there a plan for patching/servicing V3 for the future? We're planning a major project, and want to decide on which framework to use based on the longevity of support for the current V3 line.

Thanks.

I'm hoping that CI3 will be maintained for at least 2 or 3 years. I don't think we have any official word on that, so we'll only know if the right people chime in.

I always think it is a bit unfair to ask volunteers to commit to something that stretches years in the future. If we paid for CI then I could understand it, but since we don't then we should all be a bit wary of the demands we make and the affect it can have on what I imagine is an exhausted, small and stretched volunteer team.

It works, is stable and pretty much secure now. CI4 is not released yet as a stable version, so there is no decision to make, new projects should be CI3.

When CI4 is released, it is not like your CI3 website will stop working. And it has already been stated that CI3 will continue to be supported for security well into the future. Providing plenty of time to play with CI4, experiment, allow to mature a bit, before even thinking about converting existing CI3 sites to CI4.

As for needing CI4, no, maybe not, but you will want it when it comes out I am sure. It is going to be fabulous IMHO, a leap forward, a jump into the wonderful world of PHP7 and onwards. Personally, I cannot wait to start experimenting, but for now, since bills need to be paid, I have decided to wait for the stable release before playing.

So in my humble opinion, there is no question, you should use CI3 for your new projects (correct at time of writing, and probably for some time to come).

Paul

(This post was last modified: 08-27-2017, 09:49 PM by rjrj2000.)

(08-27-2017, 12:23 PM)PaulD Wrote: I always think it is a bit unfair to ask volunteers to commit to something that stretches years in the future. If we paid for CI then I could understand it, but since we don't then we should all be a bit wary of the demands we make and the affect it can have on what I imagine is an exhausted, small and stretched volunteer team.  

It works, is stable and pretty much secure now. CI4 is not released yet as a stable version, so there is no decision to make, new projects should be CI3.

When CI4 is released, it is not like your CI3 website will stop working. And it has already been stated that CI3 will continue to be supported for security well into the future. Providing plenty of time to play with CI4, experiment, allow to mature a bit, before even thinking about converting existing CI3 sites to CI4.

As for needing CI4, no, maybe not, but you will want it when it comes out I am sure. It is going to be fabulous IMHO, a leap forward, a jump into the wonderful world of PHP7 and onwards. Personally, I cannot wait to start experimenting, but for now, since bills need to be paid, I have decided to wait for the stable release before playing.

So in my humble opinion, there is no question, you should use CI3 for your new projects (correct at time of writing, and probably for some time to come).

Paul

Thank you for the answer.  To be honest, I don't really care about new features being added to CI 3 in the future.  I care only about security updates with an LTS (long term support) approach.  Since you say CI 3's security will be supported "well into the future", are you talking about 6-12 months or 3-4 years? (I am trying to quantify with more certainty, arbitrary words like "well into the future").

Thanks.

As skunkbad said above, I also recall two years being mentioned by the CI team. I do not think there is a specific date.

But even if it does expire, there are still all sorts of possibilities, from fixing any issues yourself or a CI3 community continuing with a fork etc.

I would use CI3 quite happily and with confidence that it is a long term solution for your project.

Best wishes,

Paul

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB