Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Tutorial about creating templates within MY_Controller

Hello,

I would like to present you another tutorial of mine. This one is about creating templates by using the MY_Controller.

http://avenir.ro/codeigniter-tutorials/s...deigniter/

I would really like to hear your opinion about the ideas posted in the tutorial and maybe tell me if there are some errors in my thinking. Thank you.

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2015, 12:17 PM by RobertSF.)

(01-09-2015, 02:06 AM)Avenirer Wrote: I would really like to hear your opinion about the ideas posted in the tutorial and maybe tell me if there are some errors in my thinking. Thank you.

Wow, I think you are doing a great job with those tutorials. The pages are attractive, and your writing is detailed and clear. I noticed you used six blog posts to walk people through installing Codeigniter. That's a lot of detail that should answer any possible question someone might have. I understand this must be a big investment of time for you, so I hope you get enough readers to encourage you to continue and make it worthwhile.

I would like to point something out, however. I notice that the seventh blog post talks about Composer and then the next blog post is about extending CI_Controller with MY_Controller, and the blog post after that is about making your first library. Those are very good posts, but after the slow introduction of the first six, they seem very fast and advanced. I think the beginner developer that needs six posts to install Codeigniter is going to be suddenly lost.

Consider putting some posts between #6 and #7 explaining a little about MVC and how Codeigniter works. Perhaps there could be a simple application around post #9, for example, how to build a simple five-page website for a small business (home, services, testimonials, contact us, about us), and after that, something a little more advanced , maybe something with CRUD, like a personal address book.

That's my only suggestion. Imagine the kind of reader that you want -- beginner, intermediate, or advanced? -- and then write for that reader. About the material itself, it is very good, and you deserve congratulations!

@Avenier

http://avenir.ro/codeigniter-tutorials/r...ndly-urls/

I am not good about mod_rewrite, I just want to write something I know.

Code:
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php/$1 [L,QSA]
On PHP CGI and FastCGI implementations this will show 'No Input File Specified' error.

There is a workaround, it works on all the hosts I have:
Code:
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php?/$1 [L,QSA]

A brief article:
http://biostall.com/resolving-the-codeig...fied-error

(01-09-2015, 12:13 PM)RobertSF Wrote:
(01-09-2015, 02:06 AM)Avenirer Wrote: I would really like to hear your opinion about the ideas posted in the tutorial and maybe tell me if there are some errors in my thinking. Thank you.

Wow, I think you are doing a great job with those tutorials. The pages are attractive, and your writing is detailed and clear. I noticed you used six blog posts to walk people through installing Codeigniter. That's a lot of detail that should answer any possible question someone might have. I understand this must be a big investment of time for you, so I hope you get enough readers to encourage you to continue and make it worthwhile.

I would like to point something out, however. I notice that the seventh blog post talks about Composer and then the next blog post is about extending CI_Controller with MY_Controller, and the blog post after that is about making your first library. Those are very good posts, but after the slow introduction of the first six, they seem very fast and advanced. I think the beginner developer that needs six posts to install Codeigniter is going to be suddenly lost.

Consider putting some posts between #6 and #7 explaining a little about MVC and how Codeigniter works. Perhaps there could be a simple application around post #9, for example, how to build a simple five-page website for a small business (home, services, testimonials, contact us, about us), and after that, something a little more advanced , maybe something with CRUD, like a personal address book.

That's my only suggestion. Imagine the kind of reader that you want -- beginner, intermediate, or advanced? -- and then write for that reader. About the material itself, it is very good, and you deserve congratulations!

Thank you very much for your input. Actually I've made this series for people wich already know the basics regarding CodeIgniter. The first 6 steps are more like a best practices for starting a project. But you are right. Maybe I should extend this to a bigger audience. Thank you again.

(01-09-2015, 02:11 PM)ivantcholakov Wrote: @Avenier

http://avenir.ro/codeigniter-tutorials/r...ndly-urls/

I am not good about mod_rewrite, I just want to write something I know.

Code:
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php/$1 [L,QSA]
On PHP CGI and FastCGI implementations this will show 'No Input File Specified' error.

There is a workaround, it works on all the hosts I have:

Code:
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php?/$1 [L,QSA]

A brief article:
http://biostall.com/resolving-the-codeig...fied-error

Thank you. I will introduce this info into my tutorial. It is good to know.

You're welcome, but wait... there are two ways you could go. You could extend the tutorials to a bigger audience, but you could also produce only intermediate and advanced tutorials. Considering that there is no shortage of beginner tutorials on the web, perhaps the latter is more indicated. In that case, perhaps folding the six first posts into a single article would be sufficient.

Greetings,

Excellent tutorials!

It's very exciting to see work like this being generated around CodeIgniter. I was always happy with CodeIgniter, but kind of gave up on it for a while. It seems there is a whole new life beginning again with this great framework.

Thanks,
Matthew

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB