Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
What's the CI4 big change?
Question 

Hi,

I'm a CI developer for some years now. Where can I find the motivation of making a "new" CI 4? I mean, what's the big change from previous version? Architecture change? New feature? What we need to know about migrating from 3.x to 4.x?

Thx

Namespaced everything, with controllers, routing, models & views on steroids compared to CI3.
Easier to build on, without the bloat of other popular frameworks.

My two bits worth, in any case Smile

(01-31-2019, 10:51 AM)ciadmin Wrote: Namespaced everything, with controllers, routing, models & views on steroids compared to CI3.
Easier to build on, without the bloat of other popular frameworks.

My two bits worth, in any case Smile

Some place to read about namespaces and steroids advantages?

https://forum.codeigniter.com/thread-64552.html

https://codeigniter4.github.io/userguide...e_4xx.html

The tutorial has been upgraded as well, and might offer some insighta for CI3 developers ... https://codeigniter4.github.io/userguide...index.html

These posts might help with the namespaces, also:

Primer: Namespaces and CodeIgniter4
Going Deeper with Namespaces in CI4

kilishan, thanks for those articles, they help.
CI 3.1 Kubuntu 19.04 Apache 5.x  Mysql 5.x PHP 5.x PHP 7.x
Remember: Obfuscation is a bad thing.
Clarity is desirable over Brevity every time.

I hope people realize that there isn't going to be a direct upgrade path, I cringe when I see all these people thinking they'll be able to do a quick upgrade.
Codeigniter is simply one of the tools you need to learn to be a successful developer. Always add more tools to your coding arsenal!

@albertleao The "upgrading from 3 to 4" link above explains that it is a conversion rather than a simple upgrade. Should anything be added to it?

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2019, 02:21 PM by albertleao.)

(01-31-2019, 02:30 PM)ciadmin Wrote: @albertleao The "upgrading from 3 to 4" link above explains that it is a conversion rather than a simple upgrade. Should anything be added to it?

No no, I wasn't throwing any shade at your documentation. Sorry if you took it that way.

You guys have made it quite clear for those who actually read the documentation that the upgrade to CI4 will be far more intricate than simply pasting in a new system folder.

I was just going by the general consensus among quite a few developers I network with about codeigniter in general. Unfortunately with CI3 being very 'legacy' based and a migration to CI4 being more of a conversion than an upgrade, almost everyone I've talked to is using this opportunity to convert to symfony or laravel. Those who have said they were sticking with CI4 were the same ones who still thought it was going to be an upgrade they could perform in a few hours.
Codeigniter is simply one of the tools you need to learn to be a successful developer. Always add more tools to your coding arsenal!

@albertleao Fair enough.
It may take a while to "win back" developers to CI4, but I hope that a stable release, and the docs, and external benchmarks will be enough to persuade them to take a look. The "legacy" label is deserved for CI3, but I think that CI4 is a different beast Smile

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB