Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
how to update ?
Question 

how do I update the framework from version 4 beta 2 to version 4 beta 3 using the git command without overwriting or changing the files I've already created ?

The user guide has upgrading directions for each of the different installation methods... https://codeigniter4.github.io/userguide...index.html

Which part is unclear? Which installation method did you use?

(05-13-2019, 08:39 AM)ciadmin Wrote: The user guide has upgrading directions for each of the different installation methods... https://codeigniter4.github.io/userguide...index.html

Which part is unclear? Which installation method did you use?

I use the command "/git clone github.com/codeigniter4/codeigniter4.git" but after that I again have to change all the configs in the downloaded framework and transfer all my scripts there, is it possible to update the framework without these manipulations ?

(This post was last modified: 05-14-2019, 05:36 AM by ciadmin.)

At the top of the page describing git installation, it says "This would not be suitable for app development, but is suitable for contributing to the framework.". The git installation is intended for contributing to the framework, *not* for app development. With the git installation, you would normally "git pull upstream master" if you are updating to the latest release, and with "upstream" referencing the main repo ("origin" referencing your fork). If you are developing your app with this clone too, then yes you will have to deal with merge conflicts every time you update. It sounds like you didn't even fork it, but instead cloned the repo directly, so you wouldn't then have a github repository, and "origin" would reference the main repo.

The manual installation is pretty much the same, except that you download the latest version to a separate folder and then manually merge, without merge conflict warnings. This is the "old school" way, from CI3.

For app development, the composer installation is intended to be the easiest way to upgrade... "composer update" and then check anything mentioned in the release notes as applying to the "app" folder.

First you must overwrite the "system" directory and read the "changelog" to see what changes should be applied in the other directories. For example for beta3 we updated "app/config/App.php" and "app/config/Migrations.php" as described.

(05-14-2019, 06:20 AM)elephpantech Wrote: First you must overwrite the "system" directory and read the "changelog" to see what changes should be applied in the other directories. For example for beta3 we updated "app/config/App.php" and "app/config/Migrations.php" as described.

Yes, you seem to understand me. But this is my problem, I am tired of such “manual” updates, because in addition to updating CI4 I need to update other libraries, so I want to somehow automate this process, at least for CI4. As [b]ciadmin[/b] said, this is done through the composer, but the fact is that I would not want to have extra folders / files from this composer in my projects ...

(This post was last modified: 05-19-2019, 11:51 PM by puschie.)

just create your own repository and clone the CI data into that -> commit your changes to your origin and get framework updates from upstream

(05-19-2019, 11:50 PM)puschie Wrote: just create your own repository and clone the CI data into that -> commit your changes to your origin and get framework updates from upstream

Yes, I did, thanks for the answer !

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB