Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Poll: Which logo do you think works best for CodeIgniter 4?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
43.03%
71 43.03%
24.24%
40 24.24%
4.24%
7 4.24%
14.55%
24 14.55%
11.52%
19 11.52%
2.42%
4 2.42%
Total 165 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Community Input - Logo for CI4

(This post was last modified: 09-17-2019, 04:59 AM by ciadmin.)

During winter2019, the CodeIgniter4 working group thought it would be a good idea to come up with a new logo for CodeIgniter 4 - recognizably "CodeIgniter" yet somehow more "modern", to reinforce the idea that CI4 was different from CI3. We went through several iterations, with suggestions and input from community members who had offered suggestions earlier, and settled on a suitable logo. As part of the runup to the CodeIgniter 4 release, we announced this new logo in July. There have been a number of objections raised on that announcement thread, with additional proposed logos, and a sense that the process we used wasn't open enough.

Ok - we asked for proposed logos from the community, and said we would present them, together with a poll for community feedback. Here it is Smile

To be clear - this is not a definitive vote for the logo to use for CodeIgniter 4; it is a gathering of community input on the logo designs put forward. The poll closes Sept 29, and we will take the feedback into account and announce the outcome at that time.

#1 The original CodeIgniter logo: [Image: tl-ci.gif] #2 The CI4 logo from the working group    
#3 Community proposed       #4 Community proposed    
#5 Community proposed     #6 Community proposed    

-----
EDIT: This is a poll, and we will be editing or pruning any "advertising", namely plugs for any specific proposed design.
James Parry
Project Lead

You do not have permission to vote in this poll.

I have corrected the permissions, and readers should be able to vote now!
It looks like the permissions changed a bit between forum versions and this one slipped through, sorry.

@andoyoandoyo Please vote using the poll, thanks.

(09-15-2019, 09:10 PM)ciadmin Wrote: I have corrected the permissions, and readers should be able to vote now!
It looks like the permissions changed a bit between forum versions and this one slipped through, sorry.

@andoyoandoyo Please vote using the poll, thanks.
Thanks ciadmin...! Voted!

Got to say the original logo has kinda grown on me, especially as a white reversal.
Practical guide to IgnitedCMS - Book coming soon, www.ignitedcms.com

(This post was last modified: 09-16-2019, 01:09 AM by demyr.)

I believe this voting will not have the true sense of choice as the text = fonts are not displayed. They are a big part of any but any logo. This way, it's just the shape. Plus, I had added the reasons/story behind my logo. Without any presentation the design work is nothing. I have spent my life struggling with this attitude. As the programming solved a problem, OK let's accept and say "a real problem", we = designers have always been put in the last places in the list of importance.

Last but not least, the resolution of some of them is not good.  Big Grin

P.S: I attached also the corrected version of the new Logo of Codeigniter 4 before, after we had discussed the interesting 4 shape within the flame.. May I kindly ask why it is not there?

(This post was last modified: 09-16-2019, 04:38 AM by PaulD.)

&demyr I have some sympathy for your slight annoyance at the process. Any proposed design should have been shown in at least three ways, the icon, the full logo with name, and then a grey-scale rendition for print only. So I am thinking of this as a first round attempt at a general direction, rather than a final choice.

@ignitedcms - The original logo has lots of appealing features and I kinda feel the same way about it. Although it did always remind me of a gas boiler company logo (probably because of the old British Gas logo). However logos get updated and modernized and some may feel it is time for the CI logo to do so too.

@ciadmin - Is it too late to add a null response - An "I don't really like any of these - think again" option.

Anyway, I am about to vote and look forward to seeing the results.

Paul

PS I voted for the original one. Sorry Demyr :-(

(09-16-2019, 04:37 AM)PaulD Wrote: @ignitedcms - The original logo has lots of appealing features and I kinda feel the same way about it. Although it did always remind me of a gas boiler company logo (probably because of the old British Gas logo). However logos get updated and modernized and some may feel it is time for the CI logo to do so too.

Hmm, yes you have a good point. However, I'm starting to think with a nice modern color theme the original logo would work well with a white reversal. There's something that quite doesn't sit right with me with all the logos submitted, I don't know.
Practical guide to IgnitedCMS - Book coming soon, www.ignitedcms.com

(09-16-2019, 05:28 AM)ignitedcms Wrote: There's something that quite doesn't sit right with me with all the logos submitted, I don't know.

Well the original one is in the lead at the moment by quite some way, so you are not alone.

I do not dislike the new ones but any one of them needs work. These feel more like initial ideas rather than finished pieces.

I have developed new logos for companies and it can be an exhausting process. I ran a competition for my company logo on a design site and paid £300 to the winner. I had about 80 entries in the end. The winning one came in towards the end and was simply stunning and perfect and I fell in love with it immediately.

Designing logo's appears simple, but it is in reality incredibly difficult.

Paul.

PS To those that have created and submitted the logos, I do appreciate the work and time you put into them and am very grateful that you have made these contributions. Please do not take any comments about the logos as personal criticism or negativity. I have taken great pleasure in seeing them and considering them and really do appreciate the time and effort you have all put into making them. Thank you.

@demyr
- The logo that I used for your proposal was the last one that you submitted (09-14-2019, 09:04 PM). Looking back through the thread I see you had a variation of the original proposed one, 08-07-2019, 09:02 PM - sorry I didn't include it in the poll, but it didn't strike me as a different one when I was putting the poll together.
- No, the story behind each proposed logo is not there; my thought was that the logos should stand on their own when comparing them
- The text treatment will de handled in a separate poll
- Sorry if the resolution isn't the best ... I was trying to get them all the same size for comparison. Some of the proposed logos had SVGs, while others were attached as rendered images.

This may not be a perfect process, but we are tryihg to be as fair as possible.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB