Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
codeigniter v4 rc for upcomming project

Hello Community we appreciate the currenty development of our lovely ci4 we as a webdeveloper are having a huge project idea from a client and we main base in using Codeligniter.

We really love the current ci4 version and we as a user really see v4 rc 3 a complete buh the developer indicate that is not stable yet.

our question is we wont love to use ci3 because we all know ci4 is demn closer and ci3 will be hard and stressfull to migrate to ci4. can we start development in ci4 and hope the stable relase is much sooner so we can just update becasue d project we hoping to embark on is a 3 month contract.

Use at your own risk!

I have been using it when updated all you need to do is copy the new system and
the public folder over.

But if they make any changes to the app folder then you would need to also start over
with the new one.
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

(11-03-2019, 04:55 PM)InsiteFX Wrote: Use at your own risk!

I have been using it when updated all you need to do is copy the new system and
the public folder over.

But if they make any changes to the app folder then you would need to also start over
with the new one.

Why should "start over with the new one" ?

@seunex I am using CI4 extensively, including one "soft" production instance. Use at your own risk, but if you are embarking on a large project that will take some time I give my full recommendation to start it in CI4.

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2019, 07:17 PM by John_Betong.)

@Kiranrs

> Why should "start over with the new one" ?

A simple example:
1. the previous version called a system function and passed a single parameter everything would be ok.
2. updated system function now requires two parameters would generate an error in your application if and only if a default second parameter was not defined.

IMHO the best solution would be to:
1. set maximum error validation in your application
2. check the updated CI Manual for the correct function implementation
3. apply the necessary modifications to prevent throwing the error

Kiranrs I think he just meant that the system folder will update itself automatically (via Composer) or can be swapped out entirely (via manual install) but changes in the framework to anything in app/ require you to make those changes yourself. For example there was a bug fixed recently where the Email config didn't extend BaseConfig (https://github.com/codeigniter4/CodeIgni...2776bf02ae). This means that anyone who installs via the current Release Candidate will need to make that change to their application manually in order for it to work with the core moving forward.

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2019, 06:11 PM by John_Betong.)

@MGatner,
I have vague memories with  an upgrade to a CI3 Version or maybe even a CI2 Version that required an Application additional file to be added otherwise errors would be thrown.

Is it possible to eliminate this missing file problem by testing for existence and supplying defaults? Same applies to most of the application files, if not which application files are essential?

I think it would be good to just include the system folder in the index.php and to supply defaults for every application file.

We’ve talked about a “post-update” hook that could run some maintenance after any framework upgrade, but it’s tricky since Composer is not a requirement there isn’t guaranteed consistency across installations of when this would run or where the files would be. I think making sure the docs and changelogs are super clear is the best approach for now - this is already something CI3 did a great job of, including point-to-point update steps.

Problem comes around when there are changes made to the app folder files.

The system upgrades can just be copied over.
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB