Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
By god, keep CI4 simple and flexible

CI4 is already simple and flexible. I don't have 18 minutes to spare on this video. What's your point?
CodeIgniter 4 tutorials (EN/FR) - https://includebeer.com
/*** NO support in private message - Use the forum! ***/

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2020, 01:22 PM by imabot.)

(01-12-2020, 11:31 AM)includebeer Wrote: CI4 is already simple and flexible. I don't have 18 minutes to spare on this video. What's your point?

I understand for the video. It's a bit long, but quite interesting. Sometime, a kind reminder is a great thing. 

I didn't test
 CI4 yet, but I'm a bit scared by some new features like packages.

After watching the video I through I made a great choice by selecting CI3. I love it so much! I absolutely don't want to be disappointed by CI4.

By the way, I'm not the author of the video.

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2020, 05:04 PM by littlej. Edit Reason: Formating )

Hello @imabot,

Everyone will have a different opinion on CI3 and CI4. I have been using CI3 for years, and I recently decided to switch to CI4.

This is only MY opinion ...

I find that CI4 is a little more difficult to master, in the sense that there are new notions like namespace management, the API Response Trait, the Throttler ... And, in my case, I had to change some good old habits :-) But, these are actually nice features, which offer more possibilities.

Now that I am using CI4, I would not go back. CI4 seems to me more powerful, and more efficient. An example ... models management. In version 3, you could do anything and everything. I ended up creating a lot of things manually. In version 4, I configure some variables, and I have access to simple and powerful features to manipulate the data in my databases. It seems so much simpler and clearer now!

Moreover, I believe it is important to stay up to date. CI4 offers recent features, and you have to "evolve with your time" ( not sure of the translation :-) ). And the knowledge learned with CI4 can also be used for other modern frameworks (which have those features too).

And note that, there are also similarities with version 3. And I believe that, it is much easier to learn CI3 when you know CI4, than learn CI4 when you know CI3.

To conlude, if a friend would ask me "which version should I use ?" (which seems to be your question... ?), I would recommend CI4. My two cents...

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2020, 06:59 PM by imabot.)

(01-12-2020, 03:49 PM)littlej Wrote: Now that I am using CI4, I would not go back.

Thank you for this long answer that reassure me. 
Are you using CI4 in production?

I can agree with the video's premise that the wheel keeps getting invented over and over. However, I don't understand why anyone would want to continue to use CI3. The lack of "modern" (old at this point) PHP features such as namespaces and proper composer support was a deal breaker 5 years ago, let alone today. There's something to be said for avoiding change for change's sake, but there does come a point where you need to evolve or get left behind. IMHO CI3 is -well- past that point and needs to be considered legacy.

@imabot: One app, and I "adopted" it for my own personal website.

@eggbert I generally agree. But before talking about "legacy", the version 4 LTS should be released. People have been waiting for years for the new version. We can understand that the term "RC3" in 2020 can "scare" some persons. Note that on CI's download page you can read "CodeIgniter comes in three flavors: CodeIgniter 3 (current), CodeIgniter 4 (future) and CodeIgniter 2 (legacy)". Before that, the message was something like "do not use in production". When I decided to switch, I took some kind of "risk". It seems normal to me that some people need to be reassured.

(01-13-2020, 12:25 AM)littlej Wrote: @imabot: One app, and I "adopted" it for my own personal website.

@eggbert I generally agree. But before talking about "legacy", the version 4 LTS should be released. People have been waiting for years for the new version. We can understand that the term "RC3" in 2020 can "scare" some persons. Note that on CI's download page you can read "CodeIgniter comes in three flavors: CodeIgniter 3 (current), CodeIgniter 4 (future) and CodeIgniter 2 (legacy)". Before that, the message was something like "do not use in production". When I decided to switch, I took some kind of "risk". It seems normal to me that some people need to be reassured.

Yes, I agree, CI4 should be officially released first, of course.  Speaking for myself, I am only now seriously considering CI for a project because CI4 is so close to release.  I've used CI (briefly) way back in the 1.x or 2.x days, but could never even consider CI3 due to it's lack of "moderness," even when it was first released.   I think if CI wants to stay competitive, it needs to go full steam ahead on version 4, and put CI3 into legacy mode.  E.g, there shouldn't be a special section on the forum for "codeigniter4."  CI4 should be the default and the version everyone is encouraged to use and migrate to.  Just my 2 cents.

Lol, I agree with you about the forum :-D Categories are sometimes confusing. Some people are posting CI3 questions in the CI4 forums. And if you look at the section "Using CodeIgniter", you will find "Installation & Setup", "Best Practices" ... and you don't know for which version. Personally, to keep it simple, I decided I would only look and write in the "CodeIgniter 4" section... :-D

But we are changing the topic of this thread... ;-)

As far as CI4 is concerned the major change was to be able to utilise multiple classes instead of inheriting from a single class unlike in all the previous versions.

I like the basic CI structure and remember all the versions are flexible. The database Active Record Class is very good but not compulsory. Native PHP database queries and functions may be used.

Same goes for the Session class.

I may be wrong... just my two Satang

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB