Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Why is Code Igniter not recommended??

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2021, 10:03 AM by FelixCaleb.)

I have been checking out Code Igniter recently and it seems incredibly easy to get an idea going very quickly with little work.
I have primarily been learning Symfony and haven't looked at Code Igniter mainly because there seemed to be a mass consensus that something like Laravel/Symfony etc would be better but I decided to checkout it again and was pleased with the experience. Its simplicity is a real plus point for me.
What are the reasons that Code Igniter might not be recommended?appvalley tutuapp tweakbox

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2021, 07:01 AM by donpwinston.)

Well only because Laravel and Symphony are much larger operations. But as you have already realized CI has much less overhead to deal with.
Simpler is always better
Sad 

(01-02-2021, 12:25 AM)FelixCaleb Wrote: I have been checking out Code Igniter recently and it seems incredibly easy to get an idea going very quickly with little work.
I have primarily been learning Symfony and haven't looked at Code Igniter mainly because there seemed to be a mass consensus that something like Laravel/Symfony etc would be better but I decided to checkout it again and was pleased with the experience. Its simplicity is a real plus point for me.
What are the reasons that Code Igniter might not be recommended?
Well as the saying goes. "If the only tool you've is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail". People get religiously devoted to frameworks and they will do everything with it, even projects that can be done well with other frameworks. Look closely at the CI philosophy. "It's a lightweight framework". Where can you best use it? When creating projects to deploy on shared hosting environments. That's why WordPress is so popular with freelancers and web hosting companies. Laravel & Symfony are best deployed on dedicated cloud instances. Myself am a Laravel developer and I've deployed projects on Digital Ocean, Linode & AWS but last week as I was wondering what to use for a project to be used in shared hosting(I don't want to write vanilla PHP anymore & I'm not so familiar with WordPress to create a plugin). I checked CodeIgniter and I'm impressed by version 4. I maybe spinning an opensource project soon. My target is small businesses and freelancers utilizing constrained bandwidths and hosting space.

Thanks for the information on this. I really enjoy the information. google

When it says "lightweight" framework, it is more about what it automatically does for you and what it doesn't.

Seriously people, this is PHP, you can do anything with about any framework depending on how much PHP code you want to write.
In the case of CodeIgniter, it does *some* things for you while (some) other frameworks do *everything* for you.

The difference is really boiled down to what level of commitment do you want to have to the tool you're using. To maximize the efficiency of each framework, you utilize and leverage all of the tools they provide you. Ergo, say Laravel, you use Eloquent, Blades, their routing, authentication, CLI stuff and so on. You do everything the Laravel way or the cost/benefit of using it decreases as you depart from the "Laravel" way. For CodeIgniter, you should use the MVC setup with routing, you should use the active class for databases and model the database correctly and so forth to leverage CodeIgniter efficiently. Laravel has more tools that come with it (and, yes, you do not HAVE to use them, but... why wouldn't you?), while CodeIgniter has a complete set of tools sufficient to code out anything with optimal choices on libraries left up to the project/team.

Either platform can accomplish the same things, it really is a difference between the suite of additional tools the frameworks come with and the subsequent dependencies that come with the inclusion of said tools.

The reason "lightweight" refers to the included tools and not the capacity of CodeIngiter is that I've used CodeIgniter to support a SaaS company that supports 1700 clients, at peak times, 50,000 concurrent users at peak times are using the same code base (the database was routed to server farms, but the app was a single instance with each client having their own style/menu/etc differences). The system tied in to dozens of remote APIs for services, managed CC transactions over the internet, dealt with mailing campaigns, accounting reporting, employee tracking (scheduling) and so forth. There wasn't anything we needed the framework to do that it couldn't handle.

(07-12-2021, 11:47 PM)aarna6928 Wrote: CodeIgniter is not what most people would consider a secure framework. ... It's an old framework and doesn't make use of newer functionality that exists within PHP. Because of that, it's had to write a lot of its security stuff itself.
Your statement is not true.  CI is a secure framework when used with php's best programming techniques. Not to mention that security is taken seriously.

(07-12-2021, 11:47 PM)aarna6928 Wrote: CodeIgniter is not what most people would consider a secure framework. ... It's an old framework and doesn't make use of newer functionality that exists within PHP. Because of that, it's had to write a lot of its security stuff itself.

Can you give us some prove? Can you give at least one hole in security of codeigniter?

Maybe you are referring to CI3, but CI4 is a modern, secure, fast, flexible, and easy to use PHP framework for developers who need simple solutions over complexity

So you just created an account to show everyone how you know nothing about CodeIgniter?
CodeIgniter 4 tutorials (EN/FR) - https://includebeer.com
/*** NO support in private message - Use the forum! ***/

(This post was last modified: 07-13-2021, 03:17 PM by abrkof.)

Flawless victory

(07-13-2021, 11:59 AM)includebeer Wrote:
So you just created an account to show everyone how you know nothing about CodeIgniter?

Flawless victory

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB