Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Our reasons to stay away from CodeIgniter 4

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2021, 09:29 AM by adnzaki.)

I don't know why is namespace become a huge lack of the framework. Namespace is an extremely greatest solution to create modular code base that enables you to build a large application. Namespace enables you to build a fully customizable commercial application.

Why .env become a problem? You are not forced to use it since you can still setup your app via app/Config like in CI3 way.

PHP versions is not a problem if you think about security, performance, feature and support. Your app needs to be evolved to become a better app nowadays.

If comments on system files are annoying for you, then you don't have to read them. It's easy man.

Less stability? Hello, I have been using ci4 since v4 alpha-2 and there are only few things changed. It's stable!

The last one, if ci4 is not backwards compatibility for CI3 because it's completely impossible to make everything suit to the older version. It's a brand new framework, it has native support for the latest PHP versions and using all of their great features to make the framework more modern and outstanding.

(01-12-2021, 06:31 AM)iRedds Wrote: Stop crying.

Composer has long been a standard in php development and a couple of hours should be enough for a basic understanding of usage.

The language has not changed. The basic design patterns for CI3 and CI4 are the same.
If you don't understand how CI3 works, then you will have problems understanding CI4.
Wake the f*** up samurai. 2021 year has come.
Hello IRedds, I regret your comment that stops thinking a lot about how you think. Let's just make it clear that composer is the most primitive side, because it's clicking, next, next and even my 3-year-old son could execute it, but we're talking about something called the adoption process, although I don't think I could expect an answer like this.

1. Changes without notice: There is no clarity of the steps to follow, it is not a question of money, it is about "clarifying the picture" of how to adopt in its own way bliss, without denigrating any user.
  2. We're talking about a framework, not quality, quantity or much less whether or not you can achieve something, "I repair my first radio at 9 years without the internet and with the help of books", that explains in a simple way that we are not talking about "Stop crying".
  3. Let's treat the community with respect: It is said that in a place where we can deal with each other without belittling a user's ability, everyone can accomplish many things, not necessarily to say "that they are crying".
  4. Let's put aside the bindings: CI is considered a machine adapted for all kinds of environments, it is admired by adapted all env, if this is not possible, but fulfills its task, then what will its users choose?
  5. It's novices to say that CI3 is similar to CI4: For more engineer level 9 be, if you say this you simply contraindicate in a professional way you would denote great arrogance and a very uns professional way.
  6. You never know if a better framework appears tomorrow: Stop mistreating the community, I see many who derogatoryly target their colleagues who simply carry the CI3 line that is not bad, but is different.
  7. It happens that CI4 is more modern: It doesn't matter that CI4 is more modern, doesn't there be a debt to the community?, I propose that the community form a hybridized version of CI4 and CI3 called CI3.5 SE. "Let's take the example of drupal CMS", from settings activate some methods of the new CI4 and finish "Stop crying".
  8. Codeigniter has a debt to its cominity: a proposal  CI3.5 SE is valid and reasonably viable, and not dificult if create a adaptable version more minimal, and moduled enable, disable of some features.

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2021, 11:28 PM by iRedds.)

2@yuma2020
I am toxic to lazy people.

If you have specific problems with migrating to CI4, then I will help if I can.

But I will not help those who talk about how good everything was and how everything became different from what it was before. Make me happy. Make me version 3.5. 

Don't speak on behalf of the community. In addition, part of the community has already chosen CI4 for themselves, given how many people are involved in supporting this version. And I think they will agree with my opinion.

Those who chose CI3 for themselves remain on it. And this version of the framework is still supported. I myself maintain the application in CI3.

@yuma2020

I am not a fan of composer and was quite happy downloading CI2 and CI3 zip files.

I now delete my local version and clone the GitHub latest version into whatever path that I like.

Works a treat and even easier to install than the zip version. Only modification is to set the write permission (every time), to 0777 for the writepath.

(01-12-2021, 11:27 PM)iRedds Wrote: 2@yuma2020
I am toxic to lazy people.

If you have specific problems with migrating to CI4, then I will help if I can.

But I will not help those who talk about how good everything was and how everything became different from what it was before. Make me happy. Make me version 3.5. 

Don't speak on behalf of the community. In addition, part of the community has already chosen CI4 for themselves, given how many people are involved in supporting this version. And I think they will agree with my opinion.

Those who chose CI3 for themselves remain on it. And this version of the framework is still supported. I myself maintain the application in CI3.

"I am toxic to lazy people", it's not about laziness, just that they're partners, learn to explain, learn if you think if this point of view, I've just seen that one isn't made to change, try the versions of CI4 this to my well done, it's simpler, simplified, they just wanted to want to follow how to carry out the adoption processes, of the new versions, specify them with examples of Codeigniter 3 as well.

If this version simplifies the processes of names and allows you to spread faster you are a good candidate, I just think you have to know how to explain, know how to accompany and understand the level of ignorance, it is good to explain to someone when you are wrong. We all learn from mistakes, only the way we communicate is fundamental.

We are a community of developers, programmers and you are not born know-it-all, you will not automatically learn everything, I think the community and the communication forum is an invaluable resource. Program at a sustained step of a little but constant.

Quote:But I will not help those who talk about how good everything was and how everything became different from what it was before. Make me happy. Make me version 3.5. 
It was just a proposal, it's not about it materialising, I think it would just be great to consider it for the future. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just think the offer would be interesting.
Remember that we are in a forum of discussion and it is not wrong to reflect the point of view, just because we think differently we are not lazy, let alone do not want to make changes, simply that some directives that could be improved in a more professional structure, more friend programer. Doesn't php8 do it, maybe the processes are not simplified, so why not consider it.

By this I mean that maybe not now in the initial version 4, maybe in the next version 5 enough abstractions are added to carry out an equal development, or more friendly with the programmer and with the working environment, so that both are more innovative and completely more versatile.

We didn't talk about changing everything, I wouldn't say about making past mistakes, just improving, making an improvement from a proposal, all with a more enjoyable, friendly, companion way, with the possibility to enable and disable options, even extend more options safely. Think of Codeigniter as a clean, friendly, adaptable and amplifiable framework and not objecting derogatory opinions to other community members.

Quote:Don't speak on behalf of the community. In addition, part of the community has already chosen CI4 for themselves, given how many people are involved in supporting this version. And I think they will agree with my opinion.

You're right, maybe I'm wrong, maybe it has nothing to do with it, you have that what is a proposal, is the community that accepts, hara, considered, I have not spoken on behalf of the community, remember that this is a thread of discussion, does not mean that by speaking here you are of the particular community. I'm sorry for the aggression you have for a lower-rated member of the community. I don't think you're a better person for pointing out derogatory arrows against those who least understand the framework, maybe you'll be more understood, but remember that it's a community and the values are the ones that accompany us.

Criticism is to make Codeigniter more competitive, the community will dictate whether it's really here on it, not a one-star user.

1. Non-compatibility with CI3 whatsoever

I started to develop CodeIgniter 3 to 4 Upgrade Helper for reducing upgrade costs from CodeIgniter3 to CodeIgniter4.
https://forum.codeigniter.com/thread-78565.html

It provides compatible interfaces for common use cases in CodeIgniter3 apps.

The official News Tutorial upgraded to CI4 works fine.
https://github.com/kenjis/ci3-to-4-news/...s/News.php

CI3 was great, but I believe CI4 is our future.

(This post was last modified: 07-11-2022, 04:18 PM by murugappan.)

Hi,
I know i am posting late.

Well, i have been a CI fan for over 10 years, CI3 is fantastic but when Laravel sprung out of the blues, i wished i had some of the features of Laravel. This feeling came when i started seeing what Laravel Blade templating language used. On later research, i found that Laravel did not have any originality. It borrowed so much from others. So i decided to do the same with CI3 and integrated Twig (the real Blade) and got i wanted. But then again, what the heck? PHP is already a templating language so i dumped it. See, what's going? CI3 was great in flexibility, adaptability and small footprint. Now i have integrated Quasar CDN, Vuejs CDN and also Alpinejs into CI4 to reap the benefits at the same time not overloading the load size and deployment. Try these.
Then came, CI4. Initially it was culture shock to me. After going through a full YouTube tutorial, from Online Web Tutor, I found that CI4 is the much needed evolution to CI3. Yeeessss! I had to rewrite much of the CI3 code but it was well worth it because our apps were getting outdated and needed complete overhaul anyway and CI4 timing was just great.
For the newbie, check the same, please. You apps may be outdated as well and may need rewrite as well. For your information, I have created a full backend API Server for our databases with CI4 which can used by front-end frameworks like Vuejs, Quasar etc. There are so many adopting Laravel for the same but what a bunch of clueless people they are. Laravel is extremely overloaded and deployment can be a nightmare, especially Laravel version 9. Oh yeah, you could use silly headless-cms like Strapi which is an overkill and deployment headache whch till today no one is providing answers.
Learn CI4 and you will not regret it.

PS: Notice, I am still a junior member after 46 years in the industry and 10 years with CI. Sigh! Anway what's in a name.

(07-11-2022, 04:17 PM)murugappan Wrote: After going through a full YouTube tutorial, from Online Web Tutor, I found that CI4 is the much needed evolution to CI3. Yeeessss! I had to rewrite much of the CI3 code but it was well worth it because our apps were getting outdated and needed complete overhaul anyway and CI4 timing was just great.

Thank you for your opinion.

YouTube tutorial from Online Web Tutor is this?

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB