Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Codeigniter or Laravel?

HI there geeks,
I am a Junior data engineer at one of the new Omegle clone communities which just enter the market to compete.  I have been in the data engineering field for around 4-5 years. I am quite good at it. But I am getting bored with it in recent times. and start trying new kinds of stuff like React and angular. I have learned both of them very quickly. then start moving on PHP. I have started learning code igniter and I love it. I did some projects in code igniter after getting it from Upwork. So to go in deep into the dynamic web and PHP and make some contact with experienced PHP developers. And reviews are not quite satisfying Confused . They said that code igniter is good but Laravel is currently trending. They also suggest some other new PHP frameworks. and I get more confused. 

So since you guys are working in Codeigniter, is there anyone who has an experience with Laravel. How can you differentiate both? let me know. So I can start. Big Grin

You will get mixed speech on this do to the fact that a lot of us have used Laravel.

I like CodeIgniter because it is slim fast and easy to learn.

This would be your choice of what to use.
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

(11-13-2021, 01:49 AM)InsiteFX Wrote: You will get mixed speech on this do to the fact that a lot of us have used Laravel.

I like CodeIgniter because it is slim fast and easy to learn.

This would be your choice of what to use.

I share this answer as well, it's easy to get started with.

Out of my own experience. CI is easier to learn but deep and meaningful tutorials are in dire short supply as compared to Laravel. When I do small simple projects that I feel won't require too much research and googling I go with CI. When I am presented with complicated problems, I go with Laravel since I know I will most likely find solutions online solved using Laravel. I have noticed, however, that my apps built with CI load quite fast. All in all, the skills learned from CI and Laravel are useful both ways and I use them interchangeably. There are no regrets at all when you try out both frameworks then pick and choose whichever you find most convenient to use for your projects.

(11-20-2021, 07:36 AM)Kenneth Kipchumba Wrote: Out of my own experience. CI is easier to learn but deep and meaningful tutorials are in dire short supply as compared to Laravel. When I do small simple projects that I feel won't require too much research and googling I go with CI. When I am presented with complicated problems, I go with Laravel since I know I will most likely find solutions online solved using Laravel. I have noticed, however, that my apps built with CI load quite fast. All in all, the skills learned from CI and Laravel are useful both ways and I use them interchangeably. There are no regrets at all when you try out both frameworks then pick and choose whichever you find most convenient to use for your projects.

I like CI for the very same reason, that it was easy and friendly to dive into. The UI is pleasant as well. However, the lack of tutorials just made me think. Perhaps we could work on it as a community? We all work with CodeIgniter so maybe while we are finishing our projects we could also include some tutorials? Overcoming issues? Being proud of a solution that came to our mind? I am about to start a new project and I will be sure to remember and prepare some useful scripts and tutorials for our community.

(01-12-2022, 03:13 AM)CommanderKeen Wrote: I like CI for the very same reason, that it was easy and friendly to dive into. The UI is pleasant as well. However, the lack of tutorials just made me think. Perhaps we could work on it as a community? We all work with CodeIgniter so maybe while we are finishing our projects we could also include some tutorials? Overcoming issues? Being proud of a solution that came to our mind? I am about to start a new project and I will be sure to remember and prepare some useful scripts and tutorials for our community.

I think this is a great idea. With CI4 still being relatively new you're right - they are lacking compared to other frameworks. Now that the website is getting more automated, if you want to write a small tutorial or article but don't have any place to put it - send it to me, or create a PR over at the website with the article and we'd love to consider it for the blog.

(03-25-2022, 07:23 AM)kilishan Wrote: I think this is a great idea. With CI4 still being relatively new you're right - they are lacking compared to other frameworks. Now that the website is getting more automated, if you want to write a small tutorial or article but don't have any place to put it - send it to me, or create a PR over at the website with the article and we'd love to consider it for the blog.

If you remember I had suggested such blog thing (long) before but we couldn't work on it. Since our documentation is sometimes criticized we can support it with a "how to" blog. (Of course we can write about any extra topic such as security advices etc.) And I had also suggested that the posts should be edited first by the lead editors so they will have more or less the same tone of voice. Since they are not videos we can even translate them. What do you think? Is it doable? Can we organize ourselves for it?

(03-25-2022, 11:34 PM)demyr Wrote:
(03-25-2022, 07:23 AM)kilishan Wrote: I think this is a great idea. With CI4 still being relatively new you're right - they are lacking compared to other frameworks. Now that the website is getting more automated, if you want to write a small tutorial or article but don't have any place to put it - send it to me, or create a PR over at the website with the article and we'd love to consider it for the blog.

If you remember I had suggested such blog thing (long) before but we couldn't work on it. Since our documentation is sometimes criticized we can support it with a "how to" blog. (Of course we can write about any extra topic such as security advices etc.) And I had also suggested that the posts should be edited first by the lead editors so they will have more or less the same tone of voice. Since they are not videos we can even translate them. What do you think? Is it doable? Can we organize ourselves for it?

Sorry - I spaced replying to this one. I've been overworked a bit lately and lost track. I don't recall you suggesting it, but I think it's a great idea. If you want to be that head person I think that would be awesome.

(11-20-2021, 07:36 AM)Kenneth Kipchumba Wrote: Out of my own experience. CI is easier to learn but deep and meaningful tutorials are in dire short supply as compared to Laravel. When I do small simple projects that I feel won't require too much research and googling I go with CI. When I am presented with complicated problems, I go with Laravel since I know I will most likely find solutions online solved using Laravel. I have noticed, however, that my apps built with CI load quite fast. All in all, the skills learned from CI and Laravel are useful both ways and I use them interchangeably. There are no regrets at all when you try out both frameworks then pick and choose whichever you find most convenient to use for your projects.

Google Search - CodeIgniteo 4 tutorials
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

(04-01-2022, 06:17 AM)kilishan Wrote: Sorry - I spaced replying to this one. I've been overworked a bit lately and lost track. I don't recall you suggesting it, but I think it's a great idea. If you want to be that head person I think that would be awesome.

Sure, with great pleasure. Then I should start a new thread but before that I need to plan it in my mind a little bit, so that I can share something solid with all of you and ask for opinions & contributions and many more.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB