Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Calling all CI developers... interested in developing a tutorial?

[eluser]mrtopher[/eluser]
I've had this idea in my head now for a while and I thought the best way to get it out would be to check with others to see if it's really a good idea or not.

With the new version of CI and EE on the horizon I have been thinking that it would be cool if a bunch of developers from the community came together and wrote a kick ass tutorial series. For those of you who have looked around at other frameworks, Symfony (http://www.symfony-project.org/) did it with Askeet but I don't think their community was involved. Derek Allard did something similar with BambooInvoice, but that's not so much a tutorial as an open source app written with CI. I was thinking of putting together something more of a how-to. I think this would be a great way to highlight the CI community and show people how to use CI to build a large scale real world web application. I think it would also generate some good buzz around the framework.

The idea is we would get a group of CI developers together and decide on an app to build. Once we have that we would split up the work and each developer would contribute a piece of the app and a write up explaining what they did. Then as the pieces are completed they will be posted on a site and at the end we should have a pretty nice open source web app with a complete narrative on how it was built.

Since the new version of CI isn't out yet, I wasn't thinking of diving head first into this right away but I wanted to get a discussion started to see if there were any developers interested in participating or if anybody else thought this would be a cool idea.

Something to keep in mind is that the new version of EE is going to be written using CI, so maybe that's all the tutorial people will want. I don't know, I just wanted to see if this idea sparked a discussion.

If you would be interested in participating or would like to see something like this developed, let me know. If you think I'm nuts or have any ideas or suggestions please post those too.

Messages In This Thread
Calling all CI developers... interested in developing a tutorial? - by El Forum - 08-31-2008, 09:45 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB