Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CodeIgniter over ASP.net MVC

Honestly, once you've invested in the tool chain for .Net and your developers have experience with it, the primary remaining issue is usually server resources (and that issue has significantly improved in recent versions of Windows Server).

There are tools available for developing PHP in Visual Studio (last I checked, at additional cost), which could help reduce the complaints .Net developers would have moving to PHP.

Personally, when I came into my current job, I was interested in using as many tools as possible which were available on 3 platforms (Windows, OS X, and Linux), because I use OS X at home, our web designer uses OS X here at work, and our servers would be running Linux (and, as it turns out, I eventually started using Linux for my development machine here at work). On the other hand, I find myself doing a lot less work from home than I did when I was working in ASP or ASP.Net, not because of the tools, but because of the job itself.

When it comes down to it, the choice is probably going to be more about your developers than about the platforms. If the developers are interested/excited about the prospect of using PHP and CodeIgniter instead of C# (or whatever language) and ASP.Net MVC, then it will probably be fine, though there may be a period in which they experience a loss of productivity as they adjust to the changes in language and platform. If they are resistant to the idea of using PHP, it could be a disaster.

In my opinion, though, the experience of developing in ASP.Net MVC probably maps a little more closely to one of the more "modern" PHP frameworks. Of course, for every person that would have an easier time transitioning to a framework which has more commonality with their previous experience, you'll have at least one which will struggle more than they would with a drastically different framework.

Messages In This Thread
CodeIgniter over ASP.net MVC - by jlq10 - 03-11-2015, 10:32 AM
RE: CodeIgniter over ASP.net MVC - by mwhitney - 03-12-2015, 06:39 AM
RE: CodeIgniter over ASP.net MVC - by jlq10 - 03-12-2015, 08:22 AM
RE: CodeIgniter over ASP.net MVC - by mwhitney - 03-12-2015, 10:46 AM
RE: CodeIgniter over ASP.net MVC - by spjonez - 03-17-2015, 06:01 PM
RE: CodeIgniter over ASP.net MVC - by iwilsonwu - 03-17-2015, 07:27 PM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB