Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Forum system - how to track already read vs new messages, per user

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
jedd the removal of read threads depend on the content of the forum. On a tech forum like CI old means dead but if the forum contains bittorrent announcements that can be revived old means coma.

I think in the end the locked thread idea will be even bigger than the read table data because it can only grow. If you decide on date based cleaning mechanism i would set every users read date that is lower than to the date the cleaning takes place and remove all records in the read table for everyone.

Quote:You can do it for example by pointing out similar topics the user is notified of when an new individual thread is selected. If a user has read items older than a certain date you can show a message with a link that will remove those.
I was thinking about the notifications there. If a user want to get notified about a new thread a search should be made to find if there are other thread with similar content and queue the matches for deletion. This can clean the notify table.
Letting the user clean the read ids table was another suggestion, i'm sorry it caused confusion.

Messages In This Thread
Forum system - how to track already read vs new messages, per user - by El Forum - 04-02-2009, 02:05 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB