Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Invoking a subset within a CI application

[eluser]Kenneth Allen[/eluser]
I looked and did not see any entry on this specifically, but perhaps I did not use the appropriate keywords.

Consider the development of a site that manages a season of games for a sports organization. At the lowest level the site shows the standings and games for the teams within a specific program, and permits authorized people to enter game results and change the date/time/location for individual games.

The schedule for a specific program belongs to a season, which may have several programs. Examples of seasons might be "Spring 2009", Summer 2009", etc.

In an earlier incarnation (not done with CI) I simply used a separate database for each season, because we had no limits. With increased use the need to store multiple seasons within the same database is a requirement.

Furthermore this application resides under an existing web site, and is (currently invoked via a form button on the main site with values passed in via hidden fields.

I am considering a major rewrite of the application to address a number of issues, and I am considering using CI to do this. My concern is that if I want to use a single database, I need to be able to invoke the application but I need to be able to indicate which season is being requested. It is not appropriate to display a screen to permit the user to select a season.

As I understand it, the 'normal' way to do invoke the application for a specific season would be to use a URL like http://my_site/schedule/season/2009Spring, where "schedule" is folder that contains my application, "season" is a model within the application, and the last part is a value for the season. This also implies that someone have type http://my_site/schedule, which would invoke the default action on the application.

I want to be able to support more than one concurrently active season within the same application, possibly with two or more links from the main site that invoke the same application with different parameters.

Is there a way to configure the routes so that I can use a short URL, such as http://my_site/schedule/Spring2009, to invoke the display of the Spring 2009 season directly?

Messages In This Thread
Invoking a subset within a CI application - by El Forum - 06-13-2009, 04:35 PM
Invoking a subset within a CI application - by El Forum - 06-13-2009, 06:26 PM
Invoking a subset within a CI application - by El Forum - 06-13-2009, 06:29 PM
Invoking a subset within a CI application - by El Forum - 06-13-2009, 06:43 PM
Invoking a subset within a CI application - by El Forum - 06-13-2009, 07:00 PM
Invoking a subset within a CI application - by El Forum - 06-13-2009, 07:05 PM
Invoking a subset within a CI application - by El Forum - 06-13-2009, 07:29 PM
Invoking a subset within a CI application - by El Forum - 06-13-2009, 07:40 PM
Invoking a subset within a CI application - by El Forum - 06-13-2009, 08:02 PM
Invoking a subset within a CI application - by El Forum - 07-03-2009, 11:47 AM
Invoking a subset within a CI application - by El Forum - 07-03-2009, 01:06 PM