Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Session (ci, native, db, what ?)

[eluser]Rick Jolly[/eluser]
IMO, an ideal session library would use php native sessions with database storage and cookie-less sessions when the client won't accept cookies.

I like php native sessions because:
- only the session id is stored as a cookie on the client's computer.
- headers are added that allows IE to accept the cookie when security is set on high.
- a common api that can be used for any php application (not just CI) so it is cross-platform.

I like database storage because:
- it will work on distributed servers so it is scalable.
- you can easily query your database to find info about current logged in users. For example, how many users are currently logged in.

I like the option of cookie-less sessions (session id passed in the url) because:
- I've had clients behind a corporate firewall that won't accept cookies.

Unfortunately there are no CI libraries that have all these capabilities. Not one supports cookie-less sessions.

Native Session is a nice simple library. It adds flash data and session regeneration, but you have to use the CI methods instead of accessing the $_SESSION array which I find a bit more awkward.

OBSession is the most complete. When configured appropriately it will store the session id as a cookie and the rest of the data in the database. One drawback is that it sets the session id as a regular cookie as opposed to a native session cookie. That means that it will not work in IE if security is set to high.

Messages In This Thread
Session (ci, native, db, what ?) - by El Forum - 07-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Session (ci, native, db, what ?) - by El Forum - 07-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Session (ci, native, db, what ?) - by El Forum - 07-19-2007, 05:32 PM
Session (ci, native, db, what ?) - by El Forum - 07-19-2007, 06:56 PM
Session (ci, native, db, what ?) - by El Forum - 07-19-2007, 08:21 PM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB