Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Active Record order_by Problem [solved]

[eluser]Travis O[/eluser]
I have created a special ORDER BY condition that sorts my data alphabetically ignoring "The" if it is in the title.

When I use
Code:
$this->db->query('SELECT * FROM lb_courses WHERE SUBSTRING_INDEX(SUBSTRING_INDEX(id,".",2),".",-1) = '.$category_id.' ORDER BY IF(SUBSTRING(course_name,1,4) = "The ", SUBSTRING(course_name,5), course_name)');
everything works fine, but when I try to do the same using Active Record syntax
Code:
$this->db->where('SUBSTRING_INDEX(SUBSTRING_INDEX(id,".",2),".",-1)',$category_id)->order_by('IF(SUBSTRING(course_name,1,4) = "The ", SUBSTRING(course_name,5), course_name)')->get('courses');
, I get the following error,

Quote:A Database Error Occurred

Error Number: 1064

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ' SUBSTRING(course_name, `5)`, `course_name)`' at line 4

SELECT * FROM (`lb_courses`) WHERE SUBSTRING_INDEX(SUBSTRING_INDEX(id,".",2),".",-1) = '10' ORDER BY IF(SUBSTRING(course_name, `1`, `4)` = "The ", SUBSTRING(course_name, `5)`, `course_name)`

I'm fine with using "query", but I would prefer to use Active Record because it looks cleaner and it takes advantage of the prefix option in the database config.

Any insight would be helpful. Thank you.

Messages In This Thread
Active Record order_by Problem [solved] - by El Forum - 08-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Active Record order_by Problem [solved] - by El Forum - 08-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Active Record order_by Problem [solved] - by El Forum - 08-05-2009, 12:47 PM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB