Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Best method for sending form variables to a model ?

[eluser]Mikeboy[/eluser]
Hi

Quick intro. I am going to rewrite a fairly large database-driven application which was written a few years ago in a spaghetti of php and html. I've researched a number of different MVC frameworks and have decided on CI.

All select, update, and delete queries are achieved through stored procedures (MSSQL).

I notice there are a number of ways to pass the user data to the model. However I am hoping there is a better way that I have missed.

1) Form variables into data array, send data array to model
Code:
View[
<input type="text" name="var1"/>
<input type="text" name="var2"/>
<input type="text" name="var3"/>

Controller
$data['var1'] = $this->input->post('var1');
$data['var2'] = $this->input->post('var2');
$data['var3'] = $this->input->post('var3');
$this->model->add($data);

Model
$v1 = $data['var1'];
$v2 = $data['var2'];
$v3 = $data['var3'];
$this->db->query("exec spXXX '$v1','$v2','$v3'");
The thing I don't like about this method is having to do deal with data[] array in both the model and the controller. Most of the procedures have 10+ parameters so this may be messy.

2) Read the post variables directly from the model. Guess this saves having to read them into the controller first, but, I don't know, I'd rather go through the controller.
Code:
Model
$v1 = $this->input->post('var1');
$v2 = $this->input->post('var2');
$v3 = $this->input->post('var3');

3) Slightly different, .. something like this, from the Godbit tutorial.
Code:
View
<?=form_input($var1);?>
<?=form_input($var2);?>
<?=form_input($var3);?>

Controller
$data["var1"] = array('name' => 'var1', 'id' => 'var1');
$data['var2'] = array('name' => 'var2', 'id' => 'var2');
$data['var3'] = array('name' => 'var3', 'id' => 'var3');
$this->model->add($data);

Model
$v1 = $this->input->post('var1');
$v2 = $this->input->post('var2');
$v3 = $this->input->post('var3');

Or 4) Something like:
Code:
Controller
$this->model->add($data["var1"], $data["var1"], $data["var1"]);

Model

Please, can anyone advise the optimum, recommended, most conventional way?!

Edit, I've not included any validation yet - just want to complete the form basics first.

Thanks
Mike

Messages In This Thread
Best method for sending form variables to a model ? - by El Forum - 07-22-2007, 03:44 PM
Best method for sending form variables to a model ? - by El Forum - 07-22-2007, 04:41 PM
Best method for sending form variables to a model ? - by El Forum - 07-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Best method for sending form variables to a model ? - by El Forum - 07-29-2008, 12:42 AM
Best method for sending form variables to a model ? - by El Forum - 07-29-2008, 02:26 AM
Best method for sending form variables to a model ? - by El Forum - 07-29-2008, 02:38 AM
Best method for sending form variables to a model ? - by El Forum - 07-29-2008, 02:49 AM
Best method for sending form variables to a model ? - by El Forum - 07-29-2008, 10:35 AM
Best method for sending form variables to a model ? - by El Forum - 11-25-2008, 12:05 PM
Best method for sending form variables to a model ? - by El Forum - 11-25-2008, 12:38 PM
Best method for sending form variables to a model ? - by El Forum - 11-25-2008, 12:50 PM
Best method for sending form variables to a model ? - by El Forum - 11-26-2008, 07:37 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB