Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Suggestions for application development method

[eluser]liri[/eluser]
Hey,

I decided to use CI for a new application I'm working on and I will welcome any pointers in guiding me towards the best approach, as I have some dilemmas regarding a couple of things.

First problem I'm facing is this - the app's navigation is 2 degrees, so I have categories and sub categories such as:

* Application
* Reports
* Management
* Configuration
* DB
* Language

I decided to start first with the Configuration part which doesn't encompass a whole lot of stuff and created a controller directory for it. For views - I wanted it to be really modular so I've broke it down into header.php, footer.php, etc... and put it in views/template/header.php etc...

Now, for the "index" page of the Configuration page I'm doing something like:

Code:
    private $__menuCategory = "Configuration";
    function index()
    {
        $menu['menuCategory'] = $this->_getMenuCategory();

$this->load->helper('url');
        $this->load->view('template/header.php');
        $this->load->view('template/menu.php', $menu);
        $this->load->view('template/main.php');
        $this->load->view('template/footer.php');
    }

And in the menu.php view I'm checking which page is it to draw the specific category link in bold for example.

Question is - now to proceed with the view for the subcategory "DB" should I have another funtion db() for it and perform the same load->view() methods?

I'm not sure this is the proper way to do things, with procedural code these things are obviously alot simpler and I'd appreciate some feedback on how to continue.

Thanks.

Messages In This Thread
Suggestions for application development method - by El Forum - 11-09-2009, 03:37 AM
Suggestions for application development method - by El Forum - 11-10-2009, 05:48 AM
Suggestions for application development method - by El Forum - 11-10-2009, 05:53 AM
Suggestions for application development method - by El Forum - 11-10-2009, 06:00 AM
Suggestions for application development method - by El Forum - 11-10-2009, 06:54 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB