Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Will Codeigniter work for my needs?

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
I think CodeIgniter looks super easy to develop with. It really looks like a great framework. But there's one thing that really bothers me. I hope someone can clarify this, but if not, I just don't think its going to work.

It just doesn't seem like CI has a flexible enough file/application structure. It seems like CodeIgniter is specifically intended to be used entirely under the public document root, and that a single CI application is intended to contain the public files, all the application code, and the CI library itself below the docroot.

On the other hand, I prefer to build my applications such that a) application files are kept separate from the app's public docroot; b) application files and the app's public docroot are each kept separate from the framework's core files; and c) multiple applications can exist, separately, outside of the public docroot, which are each launched from a separate path within the docroot or even a separate docroot altogether, YET all use the same framework core, and may even share model classes and possibly even certain controllers.

For instance, consider this structure:
Code:
/web
    /libs
        /codeigniter
        /swiftmailer
    /apps
        /common
            /controllers
            /models
        /myblog
        /forum
        /cms
        /project-manager
    /html
        /mydomain1.com
            /blog
                /index.php   --> points to the "myblog" app
            /community
                /index.php   --> points to the "forum" app
            /index.php       -->  points to the "cms" app
        /projects.mydomain2.com
            /index.php       --> points to the "project-manager" app

I've started working with Zend, which allows me to setup a much more flexible structure like the one I've described. However, Zend is pretty bloated and has what seems to be to be a lot of unnecessary setup for simple applications.

So I guess my question is, IS this possible without serious modification of core files, and how?

Thanks.

Messages In This Thread
Will Codeigniter work for my needs? - by El Forum - 11-13-2009, 03:50 PM
Will Codeigniter work for my needs? - by El Forum - 11-13-2009, 04:49 PM
Will Codeigniter work for my needs? - by El Forum - 04-07-2010, 09:47 AM
Will Codeigniter work for my needs? - by El Forum - 04-07-2010, 10:58 AM
Will Codeigniter work for my needs? - by El Forum - 04-07-2010, 11:07 AM
Will Codeigniter work for my needs? - by El Forum - 04-08-2010, 02:45 AM
Will Codeigniter work for my needs? - by El Forum - 04-08-2010, 03:38 AM
Will Codeigniter work for my needs? - by El Forum - 04-08-2010, 03:42 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB