Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI, HMVC and Beyond

Hello fellow CI-users,

I'am working on an web-application. All very simple: filling tables, doing some calculations and show some results. I ran into Codeigniter and HMVC. I thought it to be a nice tool to use, but....
I recognize the potential of the 'H', but there is something missing. I'am still looking for the manual: "This is CI-HMVC and that is how to do it properly."
An example: I wrote a module "Login" to keep track of users and to allow them to signin and signout. You know the procedure. In its model's construct function I create the users table. Write down once and forget, just use. Ouch, there is allready an users table. How to implement "namespacing" at this level ? That would increase re-usability. Or can I use other techniques ? Now, I still have to adapt my Login module. I want to build once and that's it.
Next one: you do not always want a full screen refresh. You hit a link or send a form, your return will rebuild your screen completely. Unless you use ajax. Then you can refresh your screen partly. In my web-app I have a menu: multi level unfolding. When I hit an item I get a refresh of my screen, but also of my menu. I would rather have the menu unfolded with the selected item colored. I can think of a solution for that, but it is not very elegant.
The possibility of calling module functions in HMVC makes me think of times long gone, the time of "Goto" and its tangled code. In a tutorial I saw, after succesful signin, a reload of the main page being hardcoded and session variables added. I would like my code to be re-usable: 'copy-paste, call setup, use' and 'no copy-paste, edit, use', with kind of generic "return to caller function" functions.
That would enhance re-usability and bring CI-HMVC to a higher level. Does anybody has a paragraph of that manual ?

Jerry Afe

Messages In This Thread
CI, HMVC and Beyond - by Jerryafe - 11-17-2014, 06:20 AM
RE: CI, HMVC and Beyond - by mwhitney - 12-12-2014, 01:39 PM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB